Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Does anyone know why the ZIF 1 GHz upgrade from Sonnet only works in the beige G3 and not the Blue and White? It seems kind of ridiculous. And if anyone knows when the "Coming soon" (for blue and white) will change to "Now available" please please please let me know...

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
i don't really know much about upgrades, but i have an xlr8 upgrade from before they went out of business and they had made a dual processor for the beige g3's but never made it for the blue n white (which i have)..... seems like a reoccuring theme of things being easier on the beige compared to the b/w

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My PowerLogix G3/800 upgrade works on both beige and blue & white machines but requires different settings of the DIP switches to work with the different bus speeds, etc.

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
I recieved an email response from them in regards to this very question. From my understanding, they're going to be coming out with the upgrade soon, and it will be faster than 1GHZ, however, they couldn't give me a timeline.

Could this possibly have to do with the firmware update that disables processor upgrades in the B/W G3 when the G4 came out? I know they've found workarounds since, just speculation.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
More likely it has to do with the fact that there aren't available 1GHz or higher G3s for a couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.