B&W Photo from internet, saved to desktop and it's colour. Open in preview and it B&W

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RockandGrohl, Feb 17, 2013.

1. RockandGrohl macrumors newbie

Sorry. Ok. So I download a photo off Tumblr by dragging and dropping to desktop. It's a JPEG. On Tumblr it is totally black and white.

When it lands on my desktop. The icon is in full colour. Everything is exactly as it would look had the photo not been black and white. When I open it, it's Black and White again. When I move the photo off the desktop into a folder, it's black and white.

So is my Mac magical? Can it revert photos to their original colour state, even photos taken off the internet??

Late 2009 Macbook Pro. Wait is it 2009? 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, Nvidia 9400M.

----------

New update, if I view the photo in finder zoomed out, then its in colour. When I zoom finder icons it turns black and white. Wat. Da. Phuqqqq

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If it's only the icon, then the file may have downloaded with a colour icon file saved within it.
    The only difference between the Desktop and other folders may be the icon size. Different icon data is used for different sizes.

Without opening the file in a decent image editor, it's hard to comment further.

3. RockandGrohl thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense, but I still find it odd - why are two versions saved when the photo in question was uploaded to a Tumblr image hosting service, which I would assume just uploads the original image - as when you usually save images from the internet the icon is blank until your OS creates that icon size for it.