Baby P killers finally named

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Aug 10, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Note these faces. They'll all need a good kick in the teeth when they're out again all too soon :( :rolleyes:

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

3. djellison macrumors 68020

What are you inferring by this? These people are quite clearly the absolute scum of the earth. But every country has people who are absolute scum, and there's nothing about being British that is inherently less or more scum-like about anyone else.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I kind of think this was meant in slang really.

But they (the killers) are trash.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Hatred stirs.. They should slowly lower these scum into vats of acid. Millimeter a minute.

6. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I'm not sure what purpose publishing the pictures serves.

This means that these people will have to have new identities etc and will cost everyone more in the long run.

The only benefit in publishing the pictures is that the newspapers sell more copies, that's what it's all about I guess.

I hate all this OMG they were baby killers! hysterics too.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It was inevitable. And I really resent that those pieces of absolute scum will get new identities. I think that's BS. If you screw things up so bad for yourself under your own identity then that's just too damn bad. How about a little personal accountability? I think it's inappropriate that anyone should have to pay to give people like that a new start in life. The mother will be out in 2012, I think I heard. That makes me sick.

And you "hate" that people are upset they over baby killers? Have you read the details about this case? It's well and truly disturbing.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I agree. And no doubt these newspapers will be the ones that complain about the cost of protecting them when they're released.

On a more serious note: how the hell did she get knocked up in the first place!? :eek: :eek:

9. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

They look like a bunch of drug addicts, i can only hope they are and once there free of that maybe then they will realise what they have done.
    But on regards to them getting new identities and such, you understand that this is not a trial by media. The law says you do the time fitting your crime then you are re integrated into society and will hopefully be a better person for it.

10. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Okay, so the whole thing is pretty horrible. There was a lot of news about it here in Norway too, and I have a strong resentment towards them.

But, if they have been found guilty of a crime, they do their time and are released, is it right for the community to prosecute them further in social stigma? One can always disagree with the sentence they were given, but it doesn't give the right to make life worse for ex-convicts when they actually get out of jail. It proves to be counterproductive to their possibly new and constructive life.

Just a thought.

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As reasonable as what you say is, I just find it impossible to be nice and politically correct with things like this.

Everything these people have done is completely and utterly sickening beyond words. I cannot believe they've only been put away for such a short time.

They all have lost any right they might have once held to being treated with any compassion what so ever.

I'd laugh my arse off if any of them were beaten to a bloody pulp in or out of prison.

12. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Screw political correctness, civil society does not have the right to condemn people who have paid their debt. If they did, we should just have put every single criminal to death immdiately, since they lose any chance to get their life together anyway.

It does give me comfort to know that prison will not treat these people kindly. People who molest/kill children are the absolute lowest class in prisons, and they are likely to get whooped around pretty good. If they survive, I'll be surprised.

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I understand, and you're probably right...doesn't stop my loathing for these people and my hope that they suffer horribly though.
    hmmmm, well, they will probably end up being isolated for their own protection - which also irritates me, they **** up their lives and torture a defenceless kid to death and they deserve protection!?

Maybe we'll get lucky and a prison guard will accidentally leave their cell door open...

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As Heilage rightly says, we have to rely on the criminal justice system to hand down a suitable and commensurate penalty. Once the penalty has been paid, there is absolutely no justification in punishing them all over again.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And I thought all these crazy weird punishment lists were only composed by mothers on Facebook.

Yes it's not great what happened and they should be put away for a very long but I'm quite surprised at the reactions of many. I also think it's wrong publishing their info like this. All it does is ensure they get proper protection once they're out.

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"Not great", I hardly think that even begins to cover it. The mother will be out in a few short years, and the others won't be far behind. It's disgusting.

17. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Well, if you read the details of the whole case, you'll find it incredible that they get away with such a short prison sentence. 25 years each would be enough to fit the crime and ensure the safety of society. I'm not looking for any painful experiences for these three, but a punishment to fit the crime.

ps. which one is the girl, looks like three blokes.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If you look at the 3 pictures from left to right its like evolution is taking place.

19. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I think your response pretty much proves the point I was making.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Care to elaborate? At least when the other posters in this thread disagreed, they had something worthwhile to say about why.

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Aw hell no. Send them to general population. Let them see what even other criminals think of people who do such horrible things to children.

It should be mentioned that I think all of these people should have gone to jail for life. Or somewhere around the range of maybe 50 years. But I still stand on my previous point in this thread, they have been convicted by a jury of their peers. But what sentence they SHOULD have gotten is a completely different discussion altogether.

22. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Ok terrible crime committed, people tried and convicted, during which time the Social Services et al are shown to have a myriad of shortcomings.

Action (sort of taken) and efforts made to (attempt to) ensure that in the future this will not be overlooked by Social Services (despite that the same was said after the case of Climbié).

And you (and countless others) seem to focus on the aspect that is least likely to have any effect, and in some instances such 'obsession' can have the reverse effect.

Yes these people have carried out an appalling crime, but that has been done and the criminal justice system is there to deal with that.

The media is there to serve their interests alone. They know that child murders and peodos get people reading, so they dissect the grisly details to the masses (who seem to lap it up and want more (which is a double bonus it seems)).

So publishing their photos serves no purpose at all, except to sell papers.

Your insistence that upon the expiry of their sentences they should be let free 'to the lions' is a sort of lynch mob mentality that the media likes to foster.

Justice was perhaps not served, but a Lynch mob is also not justice either.

Efforts should be focused on the procedures and actions of the Social Security / Child protection services and a focused review of the criminal justice system with regards to sentencing policy.

So do we see updates from Lord Laming's report plastered on the front pages?

Apparently not when a brace of mugshots and recycled hysteria will do instead.

Did I really need to type all that?

If you read your own response it comes across like you're one of those hysterical facebook mums braying for the blood of a child killer.

- I know you're not but I had hoped you may have read what you said and could see that I might ... just ... slightly have a point.

23. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Someone remembers the episode of Doctor Who where there was a Slitheen plot to nuke Cardiff.

:D

Your right though. I always think in situations like this, torture for about 5 solid years with serious attention paid to the prevention of suicide followed by the death penalty should be the norm.

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Thankfully this is Britain and such nonsense is well, nonsense.

They'll do their time at Her Majesty's Pleasure and then thanks to the faux moral outrage of our press they'll have a considerable sum of money spent on them for protection. No doubt the press will then wheel out some more fauxtrage about said financial outlay to sell even more copies.

25. Freeþinker macrumors member

It was right to show their faces

I'm surprised that those assumed to be fair-minded on this issue are so condemning of the press for releasing these pictures.

Consider the heaps of praise given to journalists who travel to some Third World country to call attention to some real or imagined genocide there, yet when it comes to despicable crimes in your own country, it's considered too rash to call attention to such crimes. That is a moral inconsistency.

I will never understand the most doctrinaire liberals in the UK (as opposed to the more mature, realistic ones) who are so quick to go after the media on this topic but then are silent about the media manipulating the public with issues like the past war in Yugoslavia. The doctrinaire liberals were very quick to identify friends and foes of humanity in that conflict when there were so few people of any ethnicity who behaved with scruples in that horrible war.

By the way, the most well-spoken defender of the death penalty was a British liberal, John Stuart Mill, who felt that it was acceptable to put murderers to death in cases of aggravated murder. There was one philosopher who was more obedient to reason than to doctrine. I wish more people in the UK (and here in the US) were guided by his insights.