Baby Simulators to Prevent Teen Pregnancy Not Working ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Plutonius, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article on the baby simulators that have been in use for the last 20 years. The simulators are small dolls that simulate a baby and that the teen has to take care of for a time period. Many studies seem to now be showing that statistically they don't work in reducing teen pregnancies and they are just a money maker for the company that sells them.

The fact that they seem to be targeted at girls might be the problem since that is only half of the problem :).

If using simulators is not the solution to teen pregnancy, what if anything is ?

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Open and honest sexual education and access to effective contraception.

This not only decreases teen pregnancy rates; it decreases abortion rates as well.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Give them that baby, stick a teen boy and a girl in a 600sq ft 4th floor walk up and tell them rent is due on the 1st, feed yourself, the baby, heat bill is due on the 15th. Let the boy know that if he skips out he's going to jail for 6 months. Let them try and survive for 3 months. Call it scared straight keep it in your pants edition. We're not visiting jails, we're living the life of teen parents.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Keep me, and Trump, away from your teen daughter.:D

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Any suggestions that aren't morally masturbatory? Like, an actual suggestion?

I think it's simple, look at the Finnish model of sex ed.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Timing is everything. Wait until the teen themselves have the flu - THEN give them the baby to take care of.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's all I got, you can show them statistics up the ying yang but teens are generally self-absorbed ignorant bastards who won't believe you till they find themselves in the "****". They're like the smoker who doesn't believe they'll end up with their larynx ripped out, they're hanging on to the slim chance they'll be one of the lucky ones who makes it to 85 smoking a pack a day.

8. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Colorado began offering free contraception, including IUDs, to teens and poor women, and the teen pregnancy and abortion rates both dropped by ~40% over 4 years. That sounds pretty effective to me.

9. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think that's part of the solution but, like the baby simulator, will teens actually make use of it ? As @BoxerGT2.5 implied, most teens do not recognize what they will have to go through.

10. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But they are condoning sex says conservative Christians. Even telling kids about birth control is telling them it's Ok to have sex. Far more effective to not tell them anything then they won't think about sex. Works great.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Funny, much of the rest of this world doesn't have this problem. The difference is sex isn't treated in the Puritan tradition we have in the USA. Our exposure to sex is very similar to alcohol in this country, with very similar results (unsafe behavior).

Frankly, if you're waiting until they're teens to discuss these subjects, you've waited years too long.

13. SusanK macrumors 68000

That makes too much sense to be widely approved and enacted.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Your naivety about world wide birth control issues is truly mind boggling.

Having lived in several different parts of the world, let me assure you that this problem is not unique to the US, nor is the cause remotely related to the so-called Puritan position you invent as dominating US tradition.

A little more research might open your eyes to the truth rather than your liberal bias.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/spring-fever/

I get it, America's the greatest thing in the world and to suggest that others have done anything better than us is an affront to your delicate sense of self.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I do live in other places and he's completely correct

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

source please, pics of Finnish models will get you extra points :D

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I couldn't read anything after that, just a run-on sentence, call it my America bias.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Hell it is even denied texas says their abstinence program works great even though they have one of the worst teen pregnancy problems in the us.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

More masturbatory nonsense.

21. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

That has something to do with it but I believe the difference is actually in the family makeup. Muslims and other religions are puritanical in their view of sex but they have lower teen pregnancy statistics.

The US leads the statistics in single parent families. Many of the single parent do an excellent job and many two parent families are failures but, I think in general, a two parent family is much better.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    If we build a wall, might the number go down ?

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Those simulators aren't realistic enough. None of them throw up nor drop the deuce. That's how to scare 'em. Having your best shirt ruined by projectile vomit or having to wake a 2am to change the diaper that stinks enough to peel paint and knock flies off a garbage truck. Replacing an unsoiled "dirty" diaper. That takes all of 20 seconds. Big whoop.:rolleyes: Feeding a hungry baby that never throws up. That'll scare 'em.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only sure fire way to end teen pregnancy is age.:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

condoms the new wall.

24. AsherN macrumors 6502

You asked...

[​IMG]

25. chown33 macrumors 604

I'm Finnished here.