Bachmann's latest Foot-In-Mouth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Lord Blackadder, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Between her and Palin the fun just never stops:

The Africans seem to be missing here, no?

Doubtless she'll pass it off as what she and others of her ilk call a "gotcha" from the "liberal media". When in fact it is an ignorant, offensive and embarrassing slip that, at the same time, says a lot about a person who pretends to be a constitutional expert with a strong grasp of the essence of American history.

And, by the way Michele, what do you think with the way we dealt with the native Americans "who were here" (emphasis mine) and are now only barely here after centuries of genocide and disenfranchisement? I suppose they should be happy you at least mentioned them.

Not to mention the Chinese, who were treated pretty awfully before being specifically barred from immigrating, and the Japanese, who we put in concrentration camps...looks like the "risk" didn't pan out for them, did it? Oddly enough, those two groups were punished by whites for being too hardworking...

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Is there an effective strategy for preventing these "gotcha" things from happening?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt" — of uncertain origin

3. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

^Yeah. Ask the Irish how "lucky" they feel...

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What the **** do you think Congress is?

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Education?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thank God for people like Michelle Bachmann.

No, really.

The latest Egypt debacle was starting to suck the air out of the room here. We needed some other scumbag politician to talk about.

Thanks, Michelle!

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Okay, I just watched the video there. Geez. She talks down to her audience like they're all first graders - and she's one of them.

And then to glorify past generations of American risk takers, but in the same breath to insist that we, the current generation couldn't possibly improve the way healthcare works now, is just breathtakingly disconnected. Talk about risk-shy!

Anyway, speaking as one of the newer "risk-takers" arriving on these shores, all I can say is that the health system here is royally messed up. It may have been appropriate years ago, but times change. America could easily do better, if only politicians like Michelle were prepared to do some actual work.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It reminds me of the no blacks no dogs no Irish signs.

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Those poor black Irish dog owners.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But at least Bachmann is not as polarizing as Sarah Palin :rolleyes:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did the term "welfare state" even exist that long ago? :rolleyes:

It's amazing to watch politicians weave ******** talking points into history with no context and have no one call them out on it being just plain ********.

13. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I have no idea. But my idea about welfare: everyone should get the opportunity to succeed, but it's their responsibility to take advantage of that opportunity & make the most of it.

I find that I'm more of a moderate. Many people on the left (though not all people), from what I see & hear, tend to have a "free money" kind of philosophy, which can get abused by slackers. On the other hand, many people on the right (again, though not all people) have a "What's in it for me?" stance and only help if they stand to directly benefit or a "Well they're poor because they don't work hard enough" stance. My feeling is that while there are many people who are poor because they don't work as hard as they can, there are many people who don't even get a chance to compete. Look at all the racism, sexism, and other -isms we have.

Just my 2¢