Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks to the generosity of @128keaton there is an iPhone 4s in our house running iOS 6.1.3. Jailbroken!

My son turns 13 in October and he needs a phone and this one will be his. Unlocked Verizon phone. I have a T-Mobile SIM on the way.

I get to play with it and set it up a bit first though. :D

Already got his iCloud ID (through Family Sharing) set up as well as Restrictions.

Software Update Killer was the first tweak install.

I miss iOS 6!!!!

2016-09-24 15.50.51.jpg

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
This is amazing! I've got a spare iPhone 4s laying around and I think I might figure out OdysseusOTA and get my 4s back to iOS 6.1.3.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
This is amazing! I've got a spare iPhone 4s laying around and I think I might figure out OdysseusOTA and get my 4s back to iOS 6.1.3.
The phone came to me already jailbroken.

Don't think it was ever updated past 6.1.3.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OK. Last piece came in today!

I've got original headphones with the controller switch (this is period for the 4s), original 30 pin connector, original USB wall charger, iPhone 4s box for 8GB, 4s manual, warranty and Apple stickers (inside the sleeve) tray and iPhone 4s 8GB.

The box says 8GB on the back and I managed to get a box top that has the pic for iOS 5/6 which is what's installed on this iPhone (iOS 6.1.3).

All I need is a SIM (on the way) a quick setup of iMessage and Facetime (waiting for the SIM so I can do this) and just a wipe down of the phone with an eyeglass cloth. Find someone to shrinkwrap it and my son's got a NIB iPhone 4s (not really). :D

2016-10-01 16.21.52.jpg 2016-10-01 16.21.18.jpg

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Thanks for bringing back some nostalgia! Back in the day of the 3.5 inch screen iPhones...it's crazy now how the whole size standard of phones has changed so much. A phone less than 4 inches is considered tiny nowadays.

The phone 4s is a gorgeous phone. I love the glass back. It's good that you're going with T-mobile for it since it has 4g Speed which should be pretty decent at least 5-10 MBPS. Had you went with Verizon your son would of been stuck with slow 3G since the phone doesn't support LTE.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for bringing back some nostalgia! Back in the day of the 3.5 inch screen iPhones...it's crazy now how the whole size standard of phones has changed so much. A phone less than 4 inches is considered tiny nowadays.

The phone 4s is a gorgeous phone. I love the glass back. It's good that you're going with T-mobile for it since it has 4g Speed which should be pretty decent at least 5-10 MBPS. Had you went with Verizon your son would of been stuck with slow 3G since the phone doesn't support LTE.
I've never really been a fan of the 4 series but it's a nice little phone and it fits neatly in the envelope of restriction I want to impose so that my son does not go crazy with data and uses it as we (my wife and I) intend it to be used.

We just happen to be on T-Mobile. Had we stayed with Sprint he would have just gotten one of our iPhone 5's.

But it is a neat little thing I think. Heavier than my 5 though.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
But it is a neat little thing I think. Heavier than my 5 though.

I remember being a little shocked when I went from the 4 to the 5--the phone got bigger, how could it be lighter?! LOL

The 4 is still my favorite form factor with its glass back. Thoroughly impractical, but damn, it was stunning.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
What if your son wants his phone updated to iOS 9? :p

He will definitely want to, as today's apps won't work with iOS 6.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
What if your son wants his phone updated to iOS 9? :p

He will definitely want to, as today's apps won't work with iOS 6.
We'll talk then.

Here's the thing though. The phone is mainly for calls and text messages. Right now with a stock install it's got about 4.6GB of space remaining (8GB phone). He's got room for maybe one or two apps.

I know my son and I don't want him using the device as a portable computer so that he is not paying attention in class. He's got a school laptop, his own laptop, my iPad and my iPhone 5 when he's at home and the games he and his sister play are on my iOS 8 iPad and iOS 9 iPhone 5. He isn't being given the phone to play games. That's just going to be a distraction to him and he doesn't need that.

It's why I put such tight constraints on this both in the capacity of his phone and the amount of data he can use.

If he can prove himself with this we'll talk later on about upgrades to model, capacity and iOS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yaay, T-Mobile SIM out for delivery! Only took a week and four days!!!

Reactions: three

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
We'll talk then.

Here's the thing though. The phone is mainly for calls and text messages. Right now with a stock install it's got about 4.6GB of space remaining (8GB phone). He's got room for maybe one or two apps.

I know my son and I don't want him using the device as a portable computer so that he is not paying attention in class. He's got a school laptop, his own laptop, my iPad and my iPhone 5 when he's at home and the games he and his sister play are on my iOS 8 iPad and iOS 9 iPhone 5. He isn't being given the phone to play games. That's just going to be a distraction to him and he doesn't need that.

It's why I put such tight constraints on this both in the capacity of his phone and the amount of data he can use.

If he can prove himself with this we'll talk later on about upgrades to model, capacity and iOS.

Are you going to install BiteSMS for your son? :):p

And then, when he does get a new phone in future, he will understand how much better it is compared to apple's implementation of quickly reply :eek: (assuming he sticks with an iPhone)

Edit: I should have the deb file for iOS 6 on my computer if you need it

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Are you going to install BiteSMS for your son? :):p

And then, when he does get a new phone in future, he will understand how much better it is compared to apple's implementation of quickly reply :eek: (assuming he sticks with an iPhone)

Edit: I should have the deb file for iOS 6 on my computer if you need it
We're going to see how that works out.

I also kind of want to limit his access to Cydia until we've had a chance to discuss the dangers and responsibilities. But it was indeed, something I had planned on if not right away.

Thanks for the offer!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
All set! Now to see about getting it shrinkwrapped tomorrow!

2016-10-03 19.24.05.jpg

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Nice work dad on bringing this phone together for your son. I am curious how this will play out over the next month or two. Other kids may not appreciate the vintage factor and taunt with their new phones. Or will the others be interested and intrigued? Will the glass back of the phone stand up to kid usage? I just became a dad two weeks ago, and I think of these things for the future. I do applaud you for doing all this though. I spent the last couple of weeks before my boy was born painting for his room--I love doing things for him.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Nice work dad on bringing this phone together for your son. I am curious how this will play out over the next month or two. Other kids may not appreciate the vintage factor and taunt with their new phones. Or will the others be interested and intrigued? Will the glass back of the phone stand up to kid usage? I just became a dad two weeks ago, and I think of these things for the future. I do applaud you for doing all this though. I spent the last couple of weeks before my boy was born painting for his room--I love doing things for him.
I think he'll do okay.

As far as being taunted about the device - he's had his own personal laptop since he was three. I see a lot of kids with their own whiz-bang newish model iPhones but mom and dad never seem to want to give them their own computers (I am generalizing).

Both kids have never been after us for our phones because they've always had a laptop or desktop somewhere in the house to use, usually their own. We've made regular weekly trips to Starbucks with our laptops since my son was 5. My daughter joined us when she turned about 6 or so.

So I am banking that the phone will be seen as simply the communications tool I intend it to be as our family tends to place more importance on other devices (such as computers).

All of that said, my son is like me. He's into tech. So everything I've done will be appreciated. I would not have done this for my daughter. For no other reason that it simply would not be appreciated. My daugher would be indifferent and the only thing she'd care about is the games she could play on it. One of the ways she's different than her brother.

I'm looking forward to giving it to him.

PS. Congratulations on being a new dad! I fear however you will soon discover the true meaning of complete lack of sleep. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: pdaholic

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
One thing I remembered. Are you planning to use FaceTime with him? 6.1.5+ has the ability to FT, 6.1.3 won't work due to the expired certificate.

I know FaceTime is not required, but it's a great thing to have.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
One thing I remembered. Are you planning to use FaceTime with him? 6.1.5+ has the ability to FT, 6.1.3 won't work due to the expired certificate.

I know FaceTime is not required, but it's a great thing to have.
Yeah, I have him logged in to Facetime. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm keeping the phone on 6.1.3 for the time being.

That said, the one call I made last night to test the SIM was to my wife. She answered the call and I pressed the Facetime button (my face appeared on the screen) but she didn't answer the FT pickup so I don't know if it works. She wasn't playing along last night. :(

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Yeah, I have him logged in to Facetime. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm keeping the phone on 6.1.3 for the time being.

That said, the one call I made last night to test the SIM was to my wife. She answered the call and I pressed the Facetime button (my face appeared on the screen) but she didn't answer the FT pickup so I don't know if it works. She wasn't playing along last night. :(

Okay. After all, it's your call. :)

Yeah, you can still start FaceTime calls on 6.1.3, but once the person answers the call will fail and end.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Okay. After all, it's your call. :)

Yeah, you can still start FaceTime calls on 6.1.3, but once the person answers the call will fail and end.
I tried this today because I brought the phone into work. Just as you said when I tried to Facetime from his phone to mine.

So…I'm going to leave this up to him. It's his phone, he gets to decide what is more important to him. Jailbroken on iOS 6 or Facetime.

The upshot is that I can still jailbreak 7.1.2.

Reactions: Manatlt

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hey Eric, I think either UPS or Fed Ex will shrinkwrap your gift.
LOL! Are you psychic? :D

I called FedEx and they said no. At least that particular FedEx Office anyway. So I looked online and found a UPS Store near work.

The definition of shrink wrap needs some work! :)

My definition was actual shrink wrapping and then heating so the wrap surrounds the package. Apparently this is not the UPS Store definition. After driving over there the guy 'wrapped' the box in essentially what was Saran wrap. I was confused and asked explaining about the heat shrinking and they guy was like "Oh! No, we don't do that!"

Well, ok. I could have used my own Saran wrap at home if I wanted to do what the guy just did, but no matter. I made three good faith attempts. My son will simply get the phone in an open box. :D

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
LOL! Are you psychic? :D

I called FedEx and they said no. At least that particular FedEx Office anyway. So I looked online and found a UPS Store near work.

The definition of shrink wrap needs some work! :)

My definition was actual shrink wrapping and then heating so the wrap surrounds the package. Apparently this is not the UPS Store definition. After driving over there the guy 'wrapped' the box in essentially what was Saran wrap. I was confused and asked explaining about the heat shrinking and they guy was like "Oh! No, we don't do that!"

Well, ok. I could have used my own Saran wrap at home if I wanted to do what the guy just did, but no matter. I made three good faith attempts. My son will simply get the phone in an open box. :D

What about something like this heat shrink wrap?: https://www.amazon.com/Combine-Shrink-11x15-23x36cm-6203060/dp/B00NIO7ZK8/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.