iPhone X Back of iPhone X noticeable warm after 15 minutes of normal use?

whizkid11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Anyone find that their iPhone X heats up rather quickly on the back side even with normal use? My 7+, 6s, 6 never did this at all. I noticed this morning (day 3) after using Safari for 15 minutes that the phone felt quite warm even with a case on. Wondering if it's a defect worth exchanging? Thanks.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone find that their iPhone X heats up rather quickly on the back side even with normal use? My 7+, 6s, 6 never did this at all. I noticed this morning (day 3) after using Safari for 15 minutes that the phone felt quite warm even with a case on. Wondering if it's a defect worth exchanging? Thanks.
If your iPhone gets warm, that's not necessarily indicative of being a defect. It can also be applications that might contributing to the warmth in the background. Does your battery level drop significantly when It warms up?

whizkid11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
If your iPhone gets warm, that's not necessarily indicative of being a defect. It can also be applications that might contributing to the warmth in the background. Does your battery level drop significantly when It warms up?

My phone is very minimal. I did notice it dropped to about 82% after 30 mins of use on Safari and it was getting warm. I shut off refresh background apps and closed all open applications.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
My phone is very minimal. I did notice it dropped to about 82% after 30 mins of use on Safari and it was getting warm. I shut off refresh background apps and closed all open applications.
I would also fully charge your iPhone, then do a hard reset it see if that clears any issues or glitches. Then monitor your iPhone to see if it gets any warmer. I would also take off the case and see if it gets warm in your hand that would seem abnormal.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
This is normal. Mine gets noticeably warm after browsing, especially graphic heavy places like Facebook and the chive. It get close to hot if browsing and charging at the same time. The heat is concentrated from the center point up to the bottom edge of the camera lens array. Normal.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
be aware...there is a problem with 9to5mac website and app...since ios11.2
You visit this site ?

Reactions: bhayes444

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Yep, the iPhone's get warm now. But don't worry it is the best phone ever made./s Likely the oddball battery design, and the glass back, which is a terrible heat conductor, along with an additional case which insulates it even more. Also the buggiest iOS to date, is putting tremendous stress on the cpu and battery. Sad thing is my number one complaint about the Android back in the day, and main reason I switched to an iphone, was the incredible heat they were producing.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
be aware...there is a problem with 9to5mac website and app...since ios11.2
You visit this site ?
There is an issue on 9to5mac for the past 3 weeks. They're either failing to mention it or they're trying to keep it under wraps, which isn't cool especially with the 11.2 issues going on. Their web devs discovered a CSS bug in the site header and are working on a fix.

I can't find a temporary fix on iOS so I'm limiting visits to their site to under a minute on my iPhone X. For Mac users, I've been able use Adblock Plus to take down two affected areas (shaded in yellow) in the header below.

Edit: It is now fixed!

Attachments

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yep, the iPhone's get warm now. But don't worry it is the best phone ever made./s Likely the oddball battery design, and the glass back, which is a terrible heat conductor, along with an additional case which insulates it even more. Also the buggiest iOS to date, is putting tremendous stress on the cpu and battery. Sad thing is my number one complaint about the Android back in the day, and main reason I switched to an iphone, was the incredible heat they were producing.
Do you even have an X?

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2016
Also have this issue using facebook, safari, and other things within roughly 30 minutes feels warm against my cheek and arm. Thermomemter states its 90 degrees

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Holy conflation Batman! Any source for the claim that bugs are somehow processor intensive (unless a bug causes a runaway process, this simply isn’t how CPU’s work)?

A glitchy UI doesn’t make anything work harder...

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2016
Holy conflation Batman! Any source for the claim that bugs are somehow processor intensive (unless a bug causes a runaway process, this simply isn’t how CPU’s work)?

A glitchy UI doesn’t make anything work harder...
Does your warm under normal use?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Does your warm under normal use?
I have a 6s, which of course gets warm when visiting sites that are content heavy.

Edit: I see you listed facebook as one of your frequented sites. Pretty much any image/video heavy feed (like most social media) will definitely cause the device to warm a bit. 90 degrees is absolutely nothing to silicon though. I wouldn't worry about it, other than to pester companies like facebook to optimize their crap.

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2016
I have a 6s, which of course gets warm when visiting sites that are content heavy.

Edit: I see you listed facebook as one of your frequented sites. Pretty much any image/video heavy feed (like most social media) will definitely cause the device to warm a bit. 90 degrees is absolutely nothing to silicon though. I wouldn't worry about it, other than to pester companies like facebook to optimize their crap.
Also it got warm idling in my lap in my vehicle yesteday, idk what the temp was exactly but the truck was slightly warm and ac was on it was 80-85 degress outside, but I did notice my skin felt cold which may be why it feels so warm to me...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Also it got warm idling in my lap in my vehicle yesteday, idk what the temp was exactly but the truck was slightly warm and ac was on it was 80-85 degress outside, but I did notice my skin felt cold which may be why it feels so warm to me...
Keep in mind that these devices are either aluminum or glass, no matter what it's going to feel warmer near the CPU than the rest of the device.

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2016
Anyone else have this issue? My 7 does the same wondering if it’s normal or if my skin is just cold

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.