Back panel on iPhone 5 to be touch sensitive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jjaro, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jjaro macrumors regular

Jjaro

So, and this is all 100% speculation here (SO PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD), but I was just thinking that maybe the reason the rumored iPhone 5 design seems to have a large, "different" panel on the back (between the upper and lower portions) is because it may be a touch sensitive panel, not unlike the Sony Playstation Vita.
    Now, do I want this? Personally, no I do not. I see no advantage to this at all. Plus, personally, I think that the rumored new design looks kinda ugly, I am hoping it will be more like an aluminum backing like the iPad or iPod Touch, which I think would be pretty sleek. Hopefully all these leaks are faked on the part of Apple to lead us in the wrong direction.
    Thoughts?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Personally i would like to go from a glass back panel to a stainless one but not the chrome look of the 3gs ,as the marks show up something bad.

I see no obvious pro to have a touch sensitive back !

We are all here to discuss things like this so no flaming from me.

3. depths macrumors regular

depths

Its cool that you're speculating but I can't see how this would work. The back of the phone is not an input area, if it was how would you grip it?

I think the renders are well done, but fake.

4. sevendeadly101 macrumors newbie

I was thinking of that also, something like the PS Vita has on the back, I personally think it's a stupid feature on the Vita, but who knows. The Vita's back I believe is plastic though and looks like a sticker.

I'm not sure if what we've seen so far can be used as a touch plate, however that back design sure does look odd if it's not for a practical reason. It's definitely not to look cool because if it is, they failed. I guess if this does turn out true then we can't case our iphones anymore.

----------

You would grip it the same, nothing would change. The touch back would only function with apps that are programmed to use it. That being said, I highly doubt something like this would be useful for anything but games.

5. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

I like your idea.

Remember the transparent phone that Tony Stark has in Iron Man movies?

Touching the back panel instead of front would be really nice when playing games, especially RPG's with virtual joystick.

Attached Files:

6. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

Yeah I agree. I think it wouldn't work, and would, for lack of a better word, be stupid. I hope you are right about all the renders being fake. I guess we will see though. That, and a personal wish here, but I live in Japan and I'm REALLY hoping for Docomo to get the iPhone, but it's not looking up at all. SoftBank sucks ass.

7. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Something like that would be sweet one day, but I bet even if it kinda worked in 50 years, the bezel would still have to be larger to hold everything.

8. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

That's true... also they need to make glass thick enough so it won't break/crack from dropping it or sitting on it.

Given the direction of phones in general (rectangular, flat, one screen.. etc), I could totally see this happening in the next 2 decades~ :cool:

9. Jjaro thread starter macrumors regular

Jjaro

Likely. I do hope that they reduce the size of the bezel though (not that it had ANY effect on how we use it, it's just cool to have a smaller one :)).

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'd hate to have a back panel like the iPod Touch's. My sister has an iPod touch and the back scratches easily and the scratches are very noticeable.