Back to Back Cases of Cancer in Family

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dmac77, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So last week my grandpa went in to see his oncologist, and after having a lobe of his lung removed over a month ago, he was declared cancer free, and he will not need chemotherapy. That's great news of course, but then today my grandma (who is like a second mother to me) went in for a PET scan because of some spots that showed up on a chest x-ray. According to her, when she asked the tech what he thought of the scans, "he kind of shook his head, frowned, and said you'll hear from your doctor soon."

Now I know that isn't a definitive diagnosis of cancer, but it has everyone in my family freaked out. According to my grandma's doctor, the spots (there are 3 of them) on the chest x-ray that are abnormal are all about the size of an eraser on a pencil. The issue is that my grandma would not be considered operable, due to fairly severe emphysema (last time she had surgery they did not think they would be able to take her off of the ventilator successfully), and probably would not handle chemo well (she's very frail as it is, and barely over 100lbs).

I really don't even know why I'm posting here, other than the fact that I'm scarred as hell of losing my grandma; she's always been the person that I could go to for anything, and she's been just as involved, if not more involved, in my life than my mom has. I just really don't know how I would be able to go on without her. I guess I just need somewhere to vent, besides my family right now.

-Don

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Certain new non-invasive surgical techniques are in use, for specific cancers.

The Gamma Knife is used primarily for brain cancers, while the Cyber Knife is used for others.

I suggest you do some Googling on these two terms, and discuss them with your Grandmother's oncologist.

The best I can do.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think they'd use Cyberknife to treat the chest. ;)

Is the mass seen in the lung, or somewhere in the upper chest (esophagus)? Anyway, it doesn't matter now. PET images can be imprecise, especially if you're talking about something the size of a small eraser you'd find on a pencil. The resolution of PET images can be 2 mm!

Don't freak out. She'll likely be advised by her doctor to get a CT scan, so try not to worry until there's a reason to.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Don't read anything into this in and of itself - techs are expressly forbidden from discussing things like this with patients, simply because they aren't doctors.

I once had a tech do an echo on my heart after an episode that landed me in the hospital - try as I might, she wouldn't tell me a single thing about what she saw. Her reluctance to say anything scared me, but once the cardiologist saw the scans and interpreted the results, it turns out everything was perfectly fine.

I do hope you and your family get some good news. Please let us know what happens.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You vent all you want Don. We're here to listen and offer any encouragement we can. My cousin is currently battling colon cancer and his doctor is not optimistic that he'll beat it, so there are people who understand what you are going through. Hang in there, take it one day at a time, and be as supportive as you can for you family. Also, don't be afraid to let others support you, don't try to go it alone.

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I just wanted to update everyone real quickly. My grandma's doctor called us on Friday, and informed us that the PET scan came back clean, so she is cancer free. A massive relief for her and me.

-Don

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

That is excellent news, my family is currently going through a cancer battle. My grandfather has a tumor in his pancreas which is 100 percent confirmed as cancer. In operable.

He has a appointment this coming wednesday with the oncologist to see if anything can be done to delay the growth. Words can't describe the feelings we are experiencing at the moment. :(

8. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather. He is in the thoughts of my family and I. I hope he gets good news from his oncologist. Please keep us updated as to his condition.

-Don

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Thank you and i will def keep you guys up to date.

Added bonus today my dad came around my house at 3:30pm and informed me that he had to take my grandmother to the hospital at 5am this morning with chest pain!!! After asking WTF she is ok. But why i was told at 3:30pm and not 5 am is beyond me

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's great news!

Now stay strong for the rest of your family.

11. Ommid macrumors 6502

Don't get too psyched, alot of cancers are environmental and the rates are dropping as factors improve so it isn't necessarily something that runs in the family completely.

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

And quit driving like an idiot. The last thing your family needs is you in a bodybag.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you care about your grandparents, never, ever offer to chaffeur them. Glad your grandmother was given a clean bill of health.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why should anyone believe this is a sincere post given what you wrote about people in your now infamous driving thread?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just thought I would share what rdowns is talking about.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have a hard time believing you actually care..

My thoughts exactly

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I must admit this was the very first thought that crossed my mind after reading both threads.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Whatever. Something tells me we won't be seeing Dmac77 around these parts.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, he still has privileges, but I have just invested heavily in salt futures. ;)

20. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Maybe it will come back.

After all, karma is a bitch.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Potty training.

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, quite the turn this thread has taken. How about we cut the OP some slack? I agree that what he posted in the other thread was selfish and arrogant, but life has a funny way of giving us experiences that put us in a position to make positive changes. Hopefully, the grace and kindness he/she has been shown by those who expressed genuine concern about his own family circumstances will make him/her ponder the attitude expressed in the other thread.

Accountability is important, but simply taking shots at him/her doesn't help the situation.

Dmac77, I may be naive, but I like to focus on the positive side of things. I'm glad to hear your grandmother has gotten good news and hope that the other medical issues your family is dealing with will continue to improve. As far as your attitude towards helping others, I hope that improves as well. We only have a limited amount of time on this planet and I promise you that it's better spent serving and supporting others as opposed to being selfish. :)

24. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

How did I know, when I clicked on this thread, that your post would be looking at the positive side of life :)

I agree with the fundamental values of your post, however it is very hard for some people to act nicely to people who openly don't return the favour. I do hope that his grandmother truly is ok, but I'm not going to express that in this thread openly because she won't benefit from it and I don't much think he deserves any consolation for it.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Oops. ;)