Back to Google News Judge OKs iPhone class action against Apple, AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carfac, Jul 12, 2010.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Looks like the judge thinks there is some merit to this case....

(from AP) A federal judge says a monopoly abuse lawsuit against Apple Inc. and AT&T Inc.'s mobile phone unit can move forward as a class action.

The lawsuit consolidates several filed by iPhone buyers starting in late 2007, a few months after the first generation of Apple's smart phone went on sale.

An amended complaint filed in June 2008 takes issue with Apple's practice of "locking" iPhones so they can only be used on AT&T's network, and its absolute control over what applications iPhone owners can and cannot install on the gadgets.

The lawsuit also says Apple secretly made AT&T its exclusive iPhone partner in the U.S. for five years. Consumers agreed to two-year contracts with the Dallas-based wireless carrier when they purchased their phones, but were in effect locked into a five-year relationship with AT&T, the lawsuit argued.​

More here: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfyDQCdkZXsZNTgnX2TERmFrZx7AD9GT46I00

2. Trakis macrumors member

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Not the newest news.

I still think it's a stupid lawsuit. Every exclusive phone is for one particular carrier. Why is it that everyone wants an iPhone so bad that they want to sue Apple because they didn't make a version for Verizon? Tell Vodafone to switch Verizon over to a proper world network and then it wouldn't be such a big issue.

I'm gonna go sue Motorola, HTC and Google because the Droid, G1, Nexus One, Droid X, Evo and any other phone I want is an exclusive to another carrier that I don't have. It sounds fair doesn't it?

4. gdlcjr macrumors regular

This is not an old news. All Phones locked to the carrier should be unlocked after your two years contract. Why does it applied to other phone except IPhone.

The reason is when I go to overseas, I could not use my Phone on the country I'm going (using their sim Card). I'm cheap I don't want to buy any international coverage. You see my point.

5. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Does Sprint unlock the Evo for use on the Verizon network?
    But unlocking the phone for international travel isn't what the lawsuit really is about.

And I understand international travel and GSM. That's one reason why I won't use Verizon.

6. gdlcjr macrumors regular

It still the same thing you should have the option to unlock you phone after the two years contract.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I completely agree. When "WE PURCHASE" the phones, we agree to pay the subsidized price in return we "lock'' ourselves into a two year contract. The phone SHOULD be locked to that carrier for them two years. However, after them two years, the company needs to provide the necessary tools or information to make the phone unlocked. If the individual on the plan chooses to leave the network or upgrade, they should be given the unlock code. It's obsured to think otherwise.

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You can at least take the Nexus One out of that list. It is not locked, and never has been locked, to any carrier.

And various reports I've read have shown that T-Mobile offers an authorized unlock procedure for the G1 upon request per their standard unlocking policy -- not to mention, anybody can purchase a factory unlocked G1 at the unsubsidized price direct from HTC.

Regarding the interoperability argument on the Sprint/Verizon side of the market... Well, the best thing we can do with all CDMA hardware is exile it to oblivion. But as long as it remains as a going concern, you're right -- the carriers should be required to operate a level playing field, allowing the unburdened transfer of any technologically compatible (and out-of-contract) hardware between carriers.

As for the other side of the argument, regarding Apple regulating App Store content on the iPhone: All Android phones are rootable -- Google has intentionally left that possibility open if you want it. Or if you prefer the safety of a trusted third party vouching for the integrity of your Apps, you can leave the phone in its default, closed configuration.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well considering the Evo is not 2 years old yet it has never been tested.

Also you can use Verizon for international travel. You just need to get one of their world phones. Those phones have a slot for a SIM card that can be used for international travel and run on GSM networks.
    Unlock for example the Blackberry Storm and it can be used on AT&T network. You just put an AT&T sim card in it and you are good to go.

It is different than the phone not compatible with different networks.
    A random piece of information is AT&T and T-Mobile 3G frequency are not the same that the rest of the world uses. They are only used in the US. They got them added to the GSM standard but the US GSM 3G is different than the rest of the world. Reason for it is the frequency used by the rest of the world are owned in the US by the CDMA carriers for their uses and the GSM ones could not get them.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yeah!! Just what we need, more rich lawyers!!!!

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

This lawsuit is horse ****. Upset, butt hurt fan boys that didn't get the iPhone on another carrier and made the choice to switch to AT&T and they didn't like it. Plain and simple.

Everyone knows carriers have exclusive deals. Everyone knows the iPhone ONLY WORKS on AT&T and everyone knows the iPhone will NOT work on any other carrier (other than T-Mobile and it doesn't even support 3G).

So what's the problem? I can understand unlocking the phone AFTER your contract is up but other than that, the problem is... ? The App store? You can't install apps you want because Apple doesn't have them? Jailbreak maybe?

Way to make lawyers rich. People wonder why all these stupid lawsuits keep cropping up. :rolleyes:

12. gdlcjr macrumors regular

How about me in US using the phone outside the country. Did you think about it. US is not the only one with GSM network in the earth.