Back up and recovery of Macbook Pro hard drive/partition to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ajy0903, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ajy0903 macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I have a question about "Back up and recovery of Macbook Pro hard drive/partition to PC"

My sister's situation for restore:
    She has Macbook Pro laptop. She accidently deleted lots of her important files when she was doing something and she wants to restore them all, since she can't lose them.

My sister's situation for backing up her Macbook Pro hard drive/partion:
    All you guys know of the Macbook Pro problem with the nVidia hard graphic card that makes not showing display properly. My sister said she now having that problem. So, since she cant see her display to do anything, I know she has to get replaced with new ones.To do that, she got to back up her hard drive/partion, since she has all the important works for her College. And I use PC.

Because of above 2 situation of my sister is having, I have 2 questions to ask you guys about:
    1. Is there or which data recovery software that recovers data files from my sister's Macbook Pro laptop hard drive that has even been
    formatted? And if there is, which software does best job on it?
    2. Is there or how do I suppose to connect my sister's Macbook Pro laptop to my PC so that I can back up her entire hard drive or
    partion to my PC? Is there possibly software that does it?

Ok, that's all for now.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Hope I get replies for this.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Unfortunately, unless she has a backup you are unlikely to be able to do this if she has been using the computer for some time since the deletion (or has reformatted the drive), as parts of the deleted files have likely been overwritten with new data.

As far as I know, that Nvidia problem affects machines during graphics-intensive use of the machine i.e. games. If she has no display at all, it's likely to be a different issue.

To back the drive up, you're going to both need to install some software and run it so you're going to need a functional display on the laptop. You could try attaching an external display to see if that works.

Assuming you can get some sort of display running on the laptop, what's probably easiest to do is buy an external hard disk and use SuperDuper to clone the laptop drive to that. If you can only back up to your PC, you could try to:

Attach both your PC and the laptop to the same (preferably wired) network
    Create a shared folder on your PC
    Map that shared folder on the laptop by selecting finder > go > connect to server then typing:

smb://computer name

(replacing "computer name" with the name of your PC from Control Panel > System > Computer name)
    Click Connect, then selct the shared folder as the one you want to map
    Use SuperDuper to create a clone of the laptop's hard drive to that shared folder as a sparse image (full details of how to do that are in the SuperDuper instructions).

If the laptop's display won't work at all you could boot it into target disk mode (hold T during startup) and try to mount the disk via a firewire cable from your PC. That would require a utility like MacDrive to make the PC able to read the OS X disk, though. (Disclaimer: I've never done that myself!).