Backed out of buying the iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bandofbrothers, Sep 24, 2012.

1. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

Well ive been reading up on the forums, looking at you tube videos and keeping an open mind about the iphone 5.

Today I visited my local 02 shop to move from my 4s to the 5.

They have the colour and storage capacity im wanting and i have my money ready to pay.

So im stood there playing with the working demo model and it suddenly dawned on me.

The black and white display model were dinted and dinged at various places ,and the coating on the antenna band was coming off on both models.

A customer who must have bought one earlier at some point was talking to a guru saying they were unhappy at the cosmetic issues.

Putting this to the back of my mind im now concentrating on the phone and start to think this is not feeling like a new phone. Im getting an extra row of icons and a slightly faster processor from a slightly thinner model !

Also after reading on other forums apple are starting to tell people who did not buy the iphone 5 from them had to go back to that shop as they would not help !

So probably those upgrading from a dumb down phone or 3gs/iphone 4 will appreciate this more. Just my thoughts and opinion.

2. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A guru?
    You need to make the decisions that are best for you.

4. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I am going from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. I just "reserved" mine so I didn't fully purchase it yet. I agree with you about all these reports are disheartening. I am a huge Apple fanboy and it's upsetting hearing about these manufacturing issues. One should think if Steve was around would it be the same?

5. andross77 macrumors 6502

your thoughts are valid OP. the 2 commentors are clueless. You don't have issues. It's a slight upgrade from the 4S and is not needed at all. But for those who have the cash and want to get the best iphone out there, it's a great phone. But for those that are tighter on cash and only upgrade if something is signifcantly better, going from 4s to 5 is not that. And you are also right, 3gs and 4 owners will LOVE the upgrade to 5 a lot more.

6. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Does anyone care that op isn't buying it? It's his loss...

By the way, all the OCD with cosmetic stuff, Get over it and worry bout things like your mortgage and career. Jesus Christ. What is wrong with society.

7. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Stop letting a bunch of whiny people make a decision for you. I've had ZERO problems with my i5. People come here to complain and get answers and you are letting that get to your head and believe this is a subpar phone when in reality it isn't.

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

If i'm spending $800 on a phone it better be perfect.

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

A slightly faster processor?

I'd suggest you do a little research ;)

10. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Totally agree - I had a faff with iPad 3 trying to get one without pink and yellow screen tinges. My iPhone 5 has metal flaking off the chamfer. It's going back.

Not going there again. Every Apple product that is launched now has a new set of poor build quality issues. I paid £200 for my Nexus 7 and it just works. And my GS3 was free. And it's perfect. I'll keep my 4S - it still has that Leica feel. Possibly the last great iPhone. I wonder.

So this is one ex Apple fanboy. What a shame.

11. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I'm starting to hate this line. Steve was around when one of the biggest debacles of iPhone history occurred (antenna gate). It was also reported that the iPhone 5 was his last major project before he passed. So to answer your question, yes these "issues" people have been having would still be happening. Steve wouldn't be manufacturing each of these phones by hand himself.

12. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Well evidently there are no perfect ones so maybe it's time to move on to another phone. Talking to the cosmetic folks specifically.

Mine has two scratches that I didn't cause but I know I'm going cause worse one anyways over a year or two. It's normal wear and tear. I also don't have the energy to go dispute a little scratch to get a new phone with other issues like battery etc. Plus I would feel awkward complaining about such a small scratch.

Anyways. To each their own? :confused:

13. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

The other issue is trying to KEEP it perfect

14. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Antenna is different then getting a phone that looks like someone dropped it a few times brand new in the box. Antenna is a design issue, this is just poor craftsmanship. I understand there are always Quality control issues but that is unacceptable.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Most of the phones are fine. I bought 2 over the weekend and they are both flawless. However, the reports of units damaged out of the box are real, so this could be a legitimate concern. That said, I don't think it will be any more susceptible to scuffing or nicking than the older model was to glass scratching or breaking.

Without a working LTE network on a band that the new iPhone 5 supports, o2 users may not notice as much of a difference as, say, people on AT&T or Verizon in the US. For us, the 5 is a much bigger deal.

16. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Lol.

An 02 guru is a little like an apple genius.

Itwas not me talking to one i was just listening into an ongoing conversation.

----------

care to elaborate please ? :confused:

17. KPOM macrumors G5

I bought 2 and they are both flawless. There's no metal flaking off at all. My guess is that Apple is starting to become a victim of its own success and that increasing production has increased the number of QA issues to deal with. Hopefully opening the plant in Brazil will help with the capacity constraints.

18. matttye macrumors 601

Just don't obsess over the phone. Use it and don't keep examining it. That's what I've done and I haven't seem any cosmetic issues :)

19. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I opened my phone right at the apple store and had two defected phones. They replaced both of them each time with no issues. As soon as they saw the nicks they got a new box. It's not like they are forcing you to keep a nicked phone.

20. jumpmandds macrumors regular

Good for u.....did this really need a thread?

21. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I really wanted to like and own this iphone as like others we have been waiting so long for it to hit the consumer market.

Yes 'ive read the posts on various threads and other forums about the cosmetic issues ,but reserved my judgement until i physically had the iphone 5 in my grasp.

Seeing the way it looks when some of this coating has come away is horrendous. You can only use a sharpie so many times and would have to end up wrapping it up in plastic and rubber.

I dont consider it my loss as its a personnel decision.

Yes their are more important things out their like health etc.

Is it wrong to expect a premium product for a premium price and find it acceptable to accept a product thats marked up out of the box or soon after through use. Wear and tear is inevitable.

I decided not to buy but have in no way advised anybody else reading my thread not to buy it.

22. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Fixed that for you, you must have hit post before you finished typing...

23. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

still nothing to do with steve jobs.

24. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Mine was perfect out of the box too. It wasn't within 24 hours. And having been in a soft gel case.

25. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

*travels back in time to 1980*

"Oh hey guys, let me tell you about this electronic device we have in the future. It's a device that the size and weight of a pocket notepad. It allows me to converse with anyone, anywhere on the planet, anytime I wish, all without wires. It also gives me instant access to virtually all knowledge of mankind.

The device has a 4" TV screen, which itself is about the thickness of several sheets of paper. I can watch virtually any movie or TV show at my leisure, and at a resolution at least four times what you see on your TV now. I can also record my own photos and movies, as many as I wish, as many times as I wish, all without film. It is powered by a battery that I only need to charge every few days.

Anyone off the street can walk into any number of stores and buy this device for a measly $800, which is equal to about $270 of your dollars."

*citizen of 1980 stares in disbelief* "Holy crap! That's amazing! Can I see it?"

"No, sorry. I didn't buy one because it had a few minor nicks along the edge."