Backed up ipad icloud photos won't download

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by pjny, Jun 1, 2012.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I had a syncing problem with my ipad 1 running ios 5.01 so I backed up about 500 mb of photos on my ipad camera roll on icloud before restoring to 5.1.1.

I followed all the instructions about turning on icloud on the Apple site but for some reason the images are not being downloaded to my mac, pc, or ipad.

The total storage section in the icloud settings in ipad settings shows 600 mb is used. I turned on camera roll and photo stream on but no dice.

I checked the directories where icloud is supposed to download but they are empty.

Can I browse the contents of icloud using Aperture?

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What OS is the Mac? The PC? Aperture 2 or 3? Make sure you meet the requirements.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

Camera roll backups are not the same as Photostream.

When you perform a backup to the cloud, the camera roll pictures get backed up (no other albums, events, etc). Since this is a 'backup' it is tied to your specific device.

Photostream on the other hand is an album like feature in the Cloud allowing you to see the pictures within that albulm from all your iDevices. When viewing pics in Photostream, you have an option allowing you to save them to your camera roll. If you do this, then subsequent backups will now include those pics.

As such, a backup of your iPad will never allow those photos to be downloaded to your Mac or iPhone. You must use Photostream, or manually manage your photos through iTunes (iPhoto/Apenture).

4. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

So how can I restore the icloud backups to the ipad?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Restotring from iCloud is only available after a Erase All Content and Settings (via Settings->General->Reset) or a restore while connected to a computer via USB.