Background Checks for the Mentally Ill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Shall I run out and buy a gun? Shall I run out and buy a gun before my right to bare arms as an American citizen goes away because I'm a mentally ill person? I've never had any desire to own a gun, but I'm a bit concerned that sometime in the near future I won't be allowed to purchase one.

I have no criminal record what-so-ever and yet I'm still one of those dangerous mentally ill people that everyone keeps referring to as a danger if I owned a gun. :cool:

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't know why you'd need to buy a gun to enjoy short-sleeved shirts.

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm kind of worried about what kind of information gets put into the background check data base. What if I go to apply for a job and they run a background check on me and discover that I'm whacked out six ways from Sunday?

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What if you get the job and they discover you're whacked out six ways from Sunday?

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

They'd have to come up with some other excuse to fire me then; which would be easy for them I'm sure.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Purchase of any firearm from any licensed dealer necessitates filling out the federal form 4473. Lying is perjury. Ten years, $20K fine. Name, address, date and place of birth, photo ID, SS #. Description and serial # of firearm.

If you've not been indicted for a crime for which the punishment could be two years or more, no problem. If you've not been adjudicated into a mental institution, no problem. There will be a check of criminal background via the National Instant Check System, where via phone from the dealer the FBI checks through the computers of the National Crime Information System. this commonly only takes a few minutes

Permanent-resident aliens may purchase firearms.

Some states have further requirements, such as a permission card for owning a firearm, and complete registration with the local police. Some states have waiting periods, of varying lengths of time. Some states, three days; California, two weeks.

For those who had court-ordered treatment for mental health problems, ten years of problem-free life as certified by a doctor re-establishes eligibility under federal law for purchase of a firearm. (This is a recollection; don't cite this as authoritative.)

If court records have been sealed, criminal and/or mental records are not entered into "the system". Privacy laws often preclude the entry of cases of mental health problems into law-enforcement databases.

Voluntary treatment for mental health problems does not preclude purchase of a firearm.

'Rat

7. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well, I've never been dragged away by a paddy wagon and locked up in a padded cell. I voluntarily go to the VA for a little chat every 3 months and they send me some drugs in the mail. I guess I could go out and buy a gun; the question is though, what am I suppose to do with it after I buy it? I don't trust myself to have one at home, so I guess I'd keep it in a locker at one of those target practice places. That's if I wanted to shoot at a paper target all day; it sounds kind of boring though. :confused:

8. Queso macrumors G4

If I were you I'd join the US armed forces. They'll let you play with lots of guns. Of course, if they turn you down I hear the Taliban are still recruiting.

9. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I was all ready in the Armed Forces 20 years ago under the don't ask, don't tell them that I'm whacked out policy. ;)

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

MACDRIVE, there's a whole world of toys out there besides guns. :) A gun is just a tool. If you don't believe it fills any need, why bother with the silly thing?

Fishing is fun; so's wildlife photography or birding. The collecting of pattern coins and type coins involves both sculpture and history.

Hey, the world's just a big ol' playground, with plenty of sandboxes for us kiddies.

:D, 'Rat

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds to me like you don't need a gun.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A sport utility vehicle and a parking lot full of people can be just as fun as a gun.

All depends on how dedicated you are to mayhem, like that guy that took out the town with a big yellow tractor and a bulletproof cage welded on the cab.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I really don't think that there are any people who are sane/insane by any objective definition. Honestly, a person is sane/insane as defined by the society the person lives in.

14. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm not wanting to bother with a gun as you say, I'm just concerned about my rights to own a gun going away under the current considerations some people are giving the current background check criteria. It's kinda like how some people have no intention of burning an American flag, but they still value their rights to freedom of expression.

I don't need a gun at all. Right now what I really need is an inch pound torque wrench for changing my transmission fluid filter. ;)

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Get your rifle and go shoot one running through the forest.

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yes ... the wrench is a much better tool.

FJ

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ideally, no one would be allowed to have guns. The next best thing though is very detailed, thorough background checks on gun buyers. And yes, mental illness should be taken into consideration. There's a whole list of psychological disorders that should immediately prevent someone from buying a gun. Major depression, ASPD and schizophrenia just to name a few.....

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm crazy and I just got a great job. And I prefer swords to guns, but I have a tazer just in case. There already are laws in some states that are supposed to stop you from buying a gun if you're a certifiable loon. But they're easy to get around, and there are some places that have fewer or no laws, or the ones that do exist are simply not enforced.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Question: How do you punish someone for perjury if they are already dead?

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

answer

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Very good then. Carry on.

22. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

:eek:

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I would answer that, but you wouldn't like it.