Backing up 4S and Updating and then asking for a factory restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Riverain96, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Riverain96 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Tonight I backed up my Iphone 4S because I had a ton of stuff on there I wanted to keep in case I ever lost it or dropped it in the water. I backed it up following the itunes instructions on Itunes and it said completed. Once I finished, Itunes told me I needed to update the software on the phone. I proceeded to do so however when it finised, the phone rebooted and opened with a connector cable pointing to itunes symbol on the screen. When I then replugged the phone into itunes it prompted me "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." Reading other posts I figured I would give it a try considering I had just done a backup, however it said that the restore would set it back to factory settings and i would lose everything. At this point I looked through my computer to make sure I at least had the backed up files but I cannot find them.

Now I figured whatever I wont reset it, but event rebooting the phone brings me back to the same screen with no option to do anything else.

How do I fix this? The whole point was to save my stuff just in case and Im afraid that the backup and update itself are what will delete all my stuff. Is there anything I can do?

Thank alot for your help!! :)

2. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Well, if you backed up your phone, it probably is in chunks in another folder, so don't worry, it's there ;)
    Just connect your phone, and when asked to setup, press restore from iTunes backup, and it will work. Good luck :)

3. Riverain96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! I can try that, I just feel its extremely risky when its telling me the only option is factory reset and itll delete everything and on top of that I cant find any of the files that i backed up (and i have a mac and am looking in the finder in all files). Is there anyway to know where those files are exactly just so i can make sure theyre there? There are about 500 pictures...

4. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

If you want to be sure where your backups are, this should help you. Some users reported that their photos were lost, but it is unlikely if you have a 4S ;)
    And once you are done updating the software, press restore from backup and select the applicable time and date and it should work. Good luck ;)