Backing Up Home Movies to Hard Drive (Archive)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by U2Boy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. U2Boy macrumors newbie

Wanted to know the best way to backup home movie (IDVD) created DVDs to my hard drive so that they could be re-burned in the future if anything happens to the original disk (scratch, lost, etc) I was either thinking of using disk utility to create a .cdr or Mac The Ripper to create VOB files. I want to be able to save the DVDs on my hard drive as a format that can be recognized in the future when trying to burn the disk.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. U2Boy thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you re-burn files created from Ripit at a later time?

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just use Disk Utility and create a disc image of your dvd. Simple to burn another disc at a later date, preserves the original quality, and you can watch the disc image with DVD Player if you want to.

4. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Hi I'm in the same boat (sorry to dig up old thread). For Image Format I chose Compressed. Should I have chosen DVD/CD master? What's the best way to do this for archiving a DVD if I want best possible quality?

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think it is a good idea to get the files onto your computer... and then integrated into you normal computer backup strategy. Burned DVDs rot pretty quickly, and once they fail, they are difficult (at best) to get data off of them. I have never been able to get data off of a failed DVD.

Consider the data on your computer to be primary... and any optical media that you have as temporary storage that will degrade and become unusable over time. Make your optical copies as often as needed... but protect your computer copies at all costs.

/Jim

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I never even thought of song this. I hade made a DVD a while back and when another was needed, something had changed with the iDVD file and I had to redo it. Wasn't too much of an issue but took some time.

I'll have to start doing this going forward. Thanks!