Backing up iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theslaz, Jan 4, 2012.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Got a new iMac for xmas and I want to back up my iPhone before I attempt to sync it with the computer. I have it hooked to the computer; and in iTunes, I can't find any mention of backing up the phone. The only mention is to "Encrypt" a backup! The reason being; is, I don't want to hit "Sync" and have everything erased from my iPhone and than I have no backup to restore it.

Thanks in advance

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

After connecting the device to iTunes, right-click the device name and you will get the option to backup the device. However, remember if you do not have the music and photos and other data on the new computer, despite a backup, you risk losing data if you were to sync. You need to copy all of that data from the old computer to the new one.

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Did some reading and found out that apparently a left click on the iPhone connection in iTunes will bring up a menu with the choice of "Backup" in it.

All is well now; as it only took about a minute!

Just bugs me why the backup option is not put in the main menu of iTunes! How hard is that?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because it usually happens automatically. The manual option is just there for techie-types who want to force it at a particular time.

No reason that a function like that needs to be out in the open. The default for regular people is 'automatic.' You can't make it easier than that.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is that us new people don't know that it is automatic. What I do know is that I can sync my iPhone to my new computer. What I don't know is; will it sync the info from my computer to the iPhone; or will it sync the information from the iPhone to the computer. Either way; I would like to "see" that option; preferably in the main menu so that I could do a backup before I go pressing the sync button and wind up with nothing on my iPhone; as that is presently was is on my iMac.

It is always up to the user to figure this out and understand. That is why noobs like me post these questions to the knowlegeable!

Thanks for concern and replies.

----------

Thanks Chris. I used the easy way out and removed my three hard drives from my PC and put them in an enclosure and hooked them up to the iMac. All is well on that front.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The thing you're missing here is that you're not a noob. You're not giving yourself enough credit. Just asking the question "is this thing backing up?" already puts you in the top tiers of 'smart users.'

So yeah, you had to ask a question here. That's not because you're stupid but because you're smarter than most. Most wouldn't even think of the question which is why Apple doesn't throw stuff like that out in the open. Giving answers to questions most people didn't ask isn't the way they do things.

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I appreciate the advice and compliment!