Backing up your computer in the UK if it contains copyrighted material is now illegal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by benthewraith, Aug 6, 2015.

1. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Article here: https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-illegal-under-uk-copyright-law-150805/

OSX is copyrighted, Windows is copyrighted, Microsoft Office is copyrighted. This is what the RIAA/MPAA would try and push here in the United States if they could.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

This is the kinda BS law that's impossible to uphold, and will only push people further towards pirating what they want.

I think I'd drive off in a fit of laughter if a policeman stopped me to ask if the music CD I'm listening to was pirated.

3. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I was just reading this on MacWorld. The British Government is uneasy about and I believe it will be overturned.

I mean, 60% of my iTunes library comes from CDs. I don't even own a CD player. If I pay for a disk, I want to do what I want with it.

Also, Apple will protest it. The bulk of their services just became illegal.

4. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

It's also illegal to jaywalk............

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Here's the first problem with the argument: You have permission of the copyright owner of MacOS X to make backup copies. The copyright owner actually supplies the tools to do this, and sells hardware expressly for the purpose of making backup copies of MacOS X. So even if you didn't have permission, under these conditions the copyright holder would be laughed out of court. You also have permission of the copyright owner to make both backup copies and certain other copy of all software you buy on the MacOS app store or the iOS app store, and you have permission to make certain copies of any music you buy from the iTunes Music store, including burning copies to CDs.

Apart from that, it is not difficult to find a "spokesperson" of the UK government who has no idea what they are talking about, and I wouldn't expect an honest representation of the facts from the torrent freak website.

6. benthewraith thread starter macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The law is completely unenforceable, it just shows how out of touch these people are.

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

Just to put this in context:

"Format shifting" and backing up has been technically illegal in the UK since before it was possible. It was illegal when any record store would happily sell you a pack of blank C90s. It was illegal when (now Sir) Alan Sugar was raking in money selling ghetto blasters with dual cassette decks and it was still illegal when the choice of songs on Tony Blair's iPod playlist was being analysed by our ever vigilant press.

I don't think its ever been enforced against consumers - the closest I remember was an advert for an MP3 jukebox getting banned because it headlined CD ripping (and that was by the industry body that regulates advertising banning the advert, not the courts or government banning the product).

Last year (after years of debate) the Government finally fixed the law to bring it in to line with EU law.

A few weeks ago, the recording industry got the new law thrown out on a technicality - the government didn't present sufficient evidence that the change didn't have an adverse effect on rights-holder's income to justify the decision not to compensate them (of course it bloody well doesn't since the law has been ignored by all since the year dot, but the recording industry would quite like some free money from a levy on storage devices, thank you).

So, basically, its just back to square one, unless the rights holders go completely insane and decide to start taking their customers to court.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

The UK government has dragged the country backwards but 20-30 years...... this is just another example of that.

Unenforceable, nothing will change...... its really not worth worrying about.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Are you black or white? If the former, be sure to duck. ;)

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

My cd collection is in storage and there is several boxes of them. I use iTunes Match which in pays royalties each and every time I choose to play a song. I think I'm covered

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Luckily, I'm in the UK. So heck; black, white, blue, orange, nobody really minds. The only thing I'd need to duck from would be an angrily-hurled crumpet and shouts of 'tally ho, darned rapscallion'.

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't know about that, Mark Duggan and Charles De Menezes still took bullets, and there was nothing to suggest at the time that they'd even broken laws.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah ... thanks for that.

[​IMG]

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

The point is the notion that UK police aren't inherently racist too, isn't quite right..... The MET police even admitted it.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No, the point is that what I said was quite obviously a joke and not meant to be taken at face value. For some reason you felt the need to correct me with a sobering reminder of how miserable the world can be. You must be fun at parties. Thanks for being 'that guy'.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This law just shows again how out of touch most governments are with MODERN life, they are still thinking in the 20th century.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

It's pretty hard to tell when people are joking when it's text.... You obviously haven't grasped that yet.

18. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You couldn't tell this wasn't serious?

Fair enough. Have a good day.

19. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'd laugh if a pirate stopped me to ask if I was listening to The Police.