Backpedaling on the rMBP in favor of the cMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMav, May 1, 2013.

1. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I've been in love with the 13.3" footprint since the first MacBook was released. Own a couple of 15.4" models, but always sold them and replaced with 13.3" ones...

I have always coveted screen density and was really excited about the new Retina displays. However, I am extremely disappointed that 16GB of ram is not available in the 13.3" model.

I have a dual-core i5 Mac mini that I currently use (with 16GB of ram). While not an absolute mandatory requirement, I use up 16GB of ram quite frequently when spinning up my testing VMs.

No real question here. Just a statement that I am likely to forego the retina model for the classic design...

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

OK. Does your Mac Mini have an SSD? An SSD makes less RAM seem like more because any page outs are processed much more quickly than magnetic HDDs. And if you can wait until WWDC, 16 GB will likely be a key option in those new 13" rMBP.

3. iMav thread starter macrumors 6502

iMav

My Mac mini does not have an SSD; it had a hybrid drive.

4. Essenar macrumors 6502a

This was the reason I chose my classic 13.3".

However, after going through three hard drive cable failures I can say that:

The build quality on the Air and Retina or 15" models is probably significantly better. I think I attribute my cable failure to the faster 7200 RPM hybrid hard drive.

However, be that as it may, it's no excuse for constant drive failure.

Another thing to consider: The 15" Retina weighs about the same as the 13" Classic. So if weight is a concern, that's something to consider. The Retina 15" is like a 15" Air on steroids.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I can still notice them. I ran out constantly with 8.

6. swunderful macrumors newbie

I love the classic, I'm confident I made the right choice.

Saved a lot of money upping the ram and SSD myself, also I have the ability to use the optical drive bay in the future for a RAID. Or just extra storage. We'll see :)

Too many limitations right now with the retina, I love the screen but everything else is pretty unfortunate. I don't like being limited to what I can do.

7. BL4zD macrumors 6502

My new 15" rMBP is about a hair's width more than my 13" cMBP.

The bezel is smaller so the glass panel is nearly the same size while still providing more area and the entire shell is so thin that it fits into all my 13" bags and Timbuk2 perfectly (but not with a speck case on it, which I prefer not to use anyway).

I was pleasantly surprised.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

So true.

My 15" MBPr still amazes me when it comes to its compact & light form factor. After several conventional 15" MBP's some of which I still use, the 15" MBPr barely feels any larger than my 13" MBA.

9. iMav thread starter macrumors 6502

iMav

I pulled the trigger on two cMBPs (2.9 GHz i7). Have two 16GB ram kits (2x8GB) and replacement drives waiting for them.

Donating my Mac mini and MacBook CE to those that can use them.

10. Phan0121 macrumors newbie

I could use your Mac mini if you don't have anyone I mind.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I would support your decision to go with the cMBP if you can't see yourself using a 15" notebook. I upgraded to the rMBP from a 13" MBP and even though the rMBP is so much faster, I still miss the 13" form factor.

12. iMav thread starter macrumors 6502

iMav

I very much dislike the 15.4" MBP form factor. I have owned one before and disliked the footprint.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cannot get the 16gb memory on the 13" rMBP then that kind of means that machine isn't the right fit for you.

I'd wait another month just to see if apple includes the 13" model for the Haswell refresh. I think they've only done the 15" initially on these roll outs but I could be wrong.

The 13" cMBP has a lot of advantages, including price, storage and upgradeable ram. The advantage of the rMBP is the sleeker design and of course screen.

I think its easier to justify a 15" rMBP over the 13" cMBP then justifying the 13" rMBP over the 13" cMBP but that's me.