Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koolkool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
What happens in the following situation:

- Make an itunes backup of my phone running iOS 11 beta 8.
- iOS 11 GM is released.
- Install iOS 11 GM and restore backup from iOS 11 beta 8

Will this work or will I encounter issues?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You are restoring a beta version backup to a final release. You may transfer over beta files that could lead to corruption. Any time you run betas, its highly recommended to start fresh with the final release, especially X.0 releases.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
While @Mlrollin91 is giving you solid, best practice advice as a counterpoint I've never made a fresh install going from beta to GM. I simply go from the last beta to the GM OTA and haven't had issues that way. I do however wipe out my beta backup and make a fresh one once I'm on the GM as those backups are potentially bloated. YMMV but it seems there's no harm in trying.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
While @Mlrollin91 is giving you solid, best practice advice as a counterpoint I've never made a fresh install going from beta to GM. I simply go from the last beta to the GM OTA and haven't had issues that way. I do however wipe out my beta backup and make a fresh one once I'm on the GM as those backups are potentially bloated. YMMV but it seems there's no harm in trying.
Isn't this situation a little different though? The OP wants to use a beta backup on the final build.

I completely agree with what you are saying and do the same exact thing (unless I have issues).

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Isn't this situation a little different though? The OP wants to use a beta backup on the final build.

I completely agree with what you are saying and do the same exact thing (unless I have issues).

Yep, I was just wondering why he's doing that is all. Perhaps he thinks he has to? We should probably wait and see... :)

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.