Backup from iCloud or iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayJamesWaller, Sep 4, 2012.

1. JayJamesWaller macrumors regular

JayJamesWaller

With the next generation of the iPhone coming up I was wondering whether it would be better when restoring the new phone from the backup, to do it from iCloud or iTunes? Basically what I want to know is which backup holds more information as I don't want to lose anything that is currently on my 4S.

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

You won't lose anything if you choose either backup. Basically iCloud backs up your essentials... Calendars... Settings.. Information, and then when that's restored it re-downloads your Apps and Music and Movies.

With iTunes... it backs it up to your computer, and you have to plug in or use Wi-Fi to restore it.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

As a developer, I do both; iTunes will backup more information than iCloud does also, which is nice if your phone breaks and you need a new one.

4. JayJamesWaller thread starter macrumors regular

JayJamesWaller

So restoring from my iTunes backup will bring back more information than the iCloud backup? Think I'll do that then thanks, :)

5. shoes222 macrumors member

I recently realized you can still do both. Apple made it seem like you have to pick one or the other "Backup to iTunes" or "Backup to iCloud", but in actuality you can backup to both. If you select the "Backup to iCloud" option, you can still manually backup to iTunes by connecting the device to your computer, right clicking and selecting "Back up device"

6. JayJamesWaller thread starter macrumors regular

JayJamesWaller

Yeah, I know you can back up to both, I already do that. I just wanted to know which one would be the best to restore to when my iPhone 5 arrives from my 4S backup, :/

7. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

Would go with iTunes. The essentials (contacts, notes, events) are in iCloud anyway. Photos are probably on the PC and I would keep a second backup on external to keep those precious memories safe. :)