Backup from restore or Start from new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marlman, Sep 25, 2013.

1. marlman macrumors regular

marlman

Looking forward to upgrading from my 4s to a shiny new Gold 5s when it finally arrives.

Was going to restore from my backup but the more I think about it I think I will start as a new phone.

Only got about three apps that I need the info from and they all backup to Dropbox so they should not be a problem.

I will just download apps as i need them I have loads right now that I don't really need.

Another thing is according to iTunes I have over a gig of "other" whatever that is so hoping to get more available space as well.

What are you all doing when you get your new toy?

2. carrieann macrumors member

carrieann

I was debating the same thing. Especially when I heard others having issues when restoring from a backup. I think I'm just going to start new :)

3. mikosk macrumors regular

I moved from a 4S to a 5S via backup and have not had any issues. I used a local install, not icloud if that makes a difference. Battery life is working fine. That said, if I didn't have so much email, messages, apps, and other data, I would start clean as well.

4. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I've had every iPhone since the 3GS, and have restored from the backup ever since, so my 5s has stuff on it from all the way back to the 3GS. No issues at all.

5. digiphantom macrumors regular

Is there a way to start from new but bring over my game saves (example: Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies)?

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've had every iPhone since the original and have always restored from a back up and I've never had a problem.

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same here.

I used to do it from a backup off my MBP. I do it now with my iCloud backup. ZERO issues.

8. Poly macrumors 6502

How much other data do you have after using a backup and updating to 7.0.1 afterwards?

9. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Just done a reset and restore half an hour ago on my ip4. My "other" data rose to 1.2GB having done my restore etc it now sits at 537MB.

I was tempted to start over but lots to reconfigure and wanted to complete quick.

When I do upgrade to my 5 or 5C maybe 5s if I'm lucky to fall over some money! I would do a clean install but that's just me. I'd not be bothered about the length of time it would take to clean install as it's an opportunity to play with a new shiny toy lol!

10. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

I'm starting new. I hear lots of people say to do that when experiencing problems although others (in this thread specifically) say they've never had problems with backups that have data going back years.

For me, it give me the opportunity to start fresh. Pick and choose which apps I reload. Plus I'm downgrading in storage from a 64GB to a 16GB so I'm not sure how much space all my pics and vids took up and I've already transferred them (since I sold me old phone already).

Whatever works best for you though.