Backup iCloud?

Smashmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
US
I use iCloud Drive which turns my Documents folder and Desktop into a network drive shared with all my devices. This is where I keep all of my files. I would like to back them up with some type of automatic system like Crashplan (which stopped doing consumer level backups).

Is there a way to backup the iCloud directly? A service for offsite backups?

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I would like to back them up with some type of automatic system like Crashplan (which stopped doing consumer level backups).
The Crashplan business plans are still quite affordable. I just converted from consumer to business. Backblaze is faster and also affordable. iCloud is more expensive, large capacities are not available, and causes problems for backup programs such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i hate the 'documents & desktop in icloud' idea, for all the right reasons. delete something from one device, you delete it for all. if it were me, i'd use dropbox, and keep my files on my mac, and in the cloud (with 'selective sync'),then i can backup everything.

i've also seen the icloud docs/desktop slow down older macs. it's a huge misstep for apple IMHO; at least, they need to create a manageable backup system for it.

Reactions: Big Ron

Smashmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
US
I really love the iCloud Drive and the way it works. I am not looking to replace it, just to back it up.

Reactions: MacUser1

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I really love the iCloud Drive and the way it works. I am not looking to replace it, just to back it up.
but that's the problem; there is no backup process for icloud drive, which breaks the 'golden rule', of having all your data in (at least) 2 places.

Smashmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
US
but that's the problem; there is no backup process for icloud drive, which breaks the 'golden rule', of having all your data in (at least) 2 places.
You are saying that there is no way to backup the files?

I can’t set a backup service to backup the files in the Documents folder on my desktop, which is the iCloud Drive directory?

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You are saying that there is no way to backup the files?

I can’t set a backup service to backup the files in the Documents folder on my desktop, which is the iCloud Drive directory?
i could be wrong (it's happened before... once). seriously, if the files are not physically on the drive, am not sure how it would be backed up. but perhaps google the issue; surely others want to do this. good luck!

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I backup my iCloud document directory (~/username/Documents) via CCC and Crashplan. The files are backed up to the respective CCC and Crashplan locations.

LuisN

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I use iCloud Drive which turns my Documents folder and Desktop into a network drive shared with all my devices. This is where I keep all of my files. I would like to back them up with some type of automatic system like Crashplan (which stopped doing consumer level backups).

Copy and Paste work

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I backup my iCloud document directory (~/username/Documents) via CCC and Crashplan. The files are backed up to the respective CCC and Crashplan locations.
if this works, then.... this.
[doublepost=1542546278][/doublepost]
Google it? Wouldn’t this forum be a better resource?? Lol
here, it's like you're asking 200 people; with google, you're asking the world...

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
if this helps, i had to delete everything of the icloud this April from jpgs, .PSD (PDS?) files to text files saved in pages there were just under 5GB . I lost nothing because i stored all those items in the mac mini computer as well as usb drives and external drives. The icloud was nice to edit something in pages on the ipad at the mall, then have the change appear on the desk top. but the icloud is a horrible source for storing secure info, ask any hollywood starlette who's boobs appear are all over the internets!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It is very easy to backup that data with one caveat.... you cannot do so with "Optimize Mac Storage" turned on. If that is turned on and your local drive gets close to full, iCloud Drive will remove infrequently used files from the local drive and they will exist only on the iCloud Drive servers (a bad idea IMO). But if you have that option turned off, all your iCloud Drive files are stored locally and can be backed up locally with Time Machine or other software, or online with an online backup service.

I use the app Arq to backup my entire users folder to Backblze B2 Servers. This includes my iCloud Drive data.

Reactions: HDFan

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It is very easy to backup that data with one caveat.... you cannot do so with "Optimize Mac Storage" turned on. If that is turned on and your local drive gets close to full, iCloud Drive will remove infrequently used files from the local drive and they will exist only on the iCloud Drive servers (a bad idea IMO). But if you have that option turned off, all your iCloud Drive files are stored locally and can be backed up locally with Time Machine or other software, or online with an online backup service.

I use the app Arq to backup my entire users folder to Backblze B2 Servers. This includes my iCloud Drive data.
good point (about 'optimize mac storage' turned off), to have the data on your mac AND in icloud.

Reactions: Weaselboy