Backup iPhone without internet or computer running iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Undecided, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Suppose you're traveling and your iPhone will be your primary device, and during your travels you won't have access to the internet / iCloud. But, you'd like to back it up and you don't want to carry a laptop just to run iTunes to back up.

Is there a small device to backup your iPhone? I'm thinking a portable hard drive that has a layer of software to back up the iPhone and communicates with the iPhone over Bluetooth, Wifi, or direct USB connection. Anyone hear of such a thing? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone is designed to be backed up by iTunes or using iCloud, short of that you have no other options. Perhaps an option may present itself if you jailbreak the phone but a stock iPhone can only be backed up by those two methods.

3. francismatthew macrumors newbie

If you won't have access to the internet then you have to carry your laptop with you to take backup.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No such thing exists.
    You will need a computer with iTunes installed to backup your iphone.
    Or connect to the internet and backup to icloud.

5. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

X2 - You need iTunes / Internet access..

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The small device you're thinking of is a mi-fi type device. It provides you with a wifi connection that you use to access iCloud.

7. Albby macrumors newbie

It seems there is not that device, Unless apple make this come ture. or you may not get something that like this small device.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

A MiFi-type device will have a data cap far too small for full backups but probably sufficient for incremental backups. So, be sure to do a full backup before heading out. You'd have to have a MiFi that would work in the region you're traveling to without nosebleed roaming charges, of course.

Seems to me that any region in which you could enjoy MiFi connectivity, you'd probably be able to find free or inexpensive WiFi at your hotel.

A laptop (or a cheap/crappy netbook) would seem to be the only other alternative.

9. PNutts, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The OP asked for a scenario with no Internet connectivity, which does not include having a MiFi or cellular service to access the Internet. Think Airplane Mode.

Edit: Thinking about this now. What would you need backed up after leaving connectivity? Pictures, Notes, anything else (that is generated directly on the phone and stays there)? I suppose with two compatible iDevices you could Air Drop things to each other. Not the best backup but if one gets dropped into a ravine the other will still have the items.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The OP mentioned wifi, so obviously not stranded out in BFE.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

He mentioned Wifi / Bluetooth / USB to connect his phone to another physical device which also does not have connectivity.

I don't want to seem argumentative so I'll step out of the thread. It seemed pretty clear to me but unless the OP clarifies then folks will form their own opinions.