Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmac0408

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
Hamilton, ON
I must create a long overdue backup of my MacBook Air. In that I'm a relatively new convert from Windows OS, what would be the best compatible External HDD to purchase? Is Time Machine the best option for doing so? Should I consider a compatible Flash Drive as an option?
Any and all input/suggestion/direction will be much appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just about any USB external HDD (or SSD) will work.

One thing to be aware of:
Some pre-built drives (Seagate and WD, at least some of them) come with software installed "at the factory" by the manufacturer.

This software is designed to "be helpful" but often ends up "getting in the way" of things with the Mac OS.

I recommend that you REMOVE any pre-installed software, and then erase the drive to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled" (using Apple's "Disk Utility").

Do this before assigning the drive to backup duty.

For backup, and my opinion only, I recommend a "cloning app" instead of Time Machine.
The two apps that have this market cornered are
- CarbonCopyCloner
and
- SuperDuper.

I like CCC because it can clone over the recovery partition as well.
Both CCC and SD can work with HFS+ and APFS drives.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
Literally any external HDD + Carbon Copy Cloner has done me well for many years now. CCC is much better than SuperDuper, IMO. A lot more options.

Reactions: jmac0408
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.