Backup with iTunes or iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sixxmum, Sep 1, 2014.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I'm curious what people use for backup.
    I backed up to iTunes until iCloud backup was available, but there were several times that iTunes ate my playlists, etc., and I rarely remember to connect physically to the computer. So, I've been using iCloud only.

But, now I'm getting "out of space" messages and don't really want to pay for yet another cloud service.

What do you use for backups and why?

2. cynics macrumors G3

3. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

If I could remember to tether more often...
    So, have you purchased more space?

4. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I back my things up to iTunes.

I'm not about that iCloud life.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I always use iTunes. I feel safer and in more control of my backups that way. Plus, I don't wish to space for extra storage space to back my stuff up in the iCloud. I have all the storage space I need locally.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I did for a while because I was unaware of an iOS 6 bug. Long story long there was a bug in iOS6 that prevented message attachments from being deleted and there isn't a way to turn off messages from iCloud backups.

Anyway once that was sorted out I got back 2 gb of space on my device and cloud so I went back to the included 5 gb of storage.

I don't have a problem with paying for more storage however if I properly manage my own data by backing things up myself and off loading photos and videos from time to time then I can save myself a few bucks. I only do it every few months so its not that bad. Plus I keep my iOS devices fairly clean by deleting emails and messages every few weeks.

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I haven't backed up to iTunes since iCloud came out.

Personally I hate iTunes and try to avoid loading that program whenever possible.

:apple:

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

Used to use both. Now just iTunes since my backups are too large for iCloud.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Mostly iCloud but I make sure to have a somewhat recent one in iTunes just in case. Backing up my iPhone and iPad mini doesn't seem to take up too much space. What do you guys keep in iCloud?!

10. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

I use both. I just backup pics and phone data to icloud so i dont go over the 5gb limit.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use iCloud unless I know I will be doing something and have to do a restore. If I know ahead of time I'll back up to iTunes because the restore is so much faster.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I use both. I've been using Apple service since .Mac and it had problems. So backing up manually is another step I do. I just really back to a disc/external drive the Address book, documents, apps and music purchased online.

Apps pre iCloud aren't necessarily on the cloud. You have to have them on your device in order for them to be saved. When I got my iPhone I noticed some of those purchases pre-icloud weren't included. So I had to install them from my iTunes and then backup to the cloud.

Awhile back with .Mac I noticed in iTunes that media is removed from the store. If you don't back it up manually it will be gone forever. Unlike iDisk you could control and monitor what was saved to the server (aka iCloud). Thus my reason for both backups.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I use iCloud for just my contacts.
    iTunes for a full backup since it's easier and faster.

14. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I use iTunes because my backup is just too big for iCloud.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use both. It's set to automatically backup to iCloud, but when I connect to my computer, I also back my device to my computer.

Sometimes it takes forever to restore from iCloud mainly to due to a lot of media, so having a local backup is preferred.

And I have the 50GB purchased option. This was from the MobileMe days, so I have been paying for it since. I expect Apple to offer more than this soon, probably 1TB for the $100 that they charge now since everyone is doing this: Dropbox Pro, OneDrive, Google Drive, Flickr Pro. Some like Tencent Weiyun is 10TB for free.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I back up to iTunes, my iCloud storage is insufficient to accommodate backups. Plus I'm not one that really likes to trust my backups to a cloud solution.

17. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Back up to iTunes, because I periodically do a factory reset and restore from backup to free up space taken up by iOS and misbehaving apps. Restoring from iTunes is fast and reliable. Reloading apps and data from iCloud would take forever with my connection speed at home.

18. andyx3x macrumors 65816