Bad battery life after 4GB Mushkin install to 13" 2.6 MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustLikeYou, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JustLikeYou macrumors member

EDIT: Mistyped MBP in my header, it should say 2.26, not 2.6 *duh*

Okay, I've searched and couldn't find an answer, so I'd love some advice.

I have been regularly getting 6 hours on my MBP and the battery in the top bar always showed 7 hours on a full charge. Today, I upgraded the ram to 4GB of Mushkin, DDR3 ram (yes, it's the right stuff). When I turned my computer back on, I noticed that at almost a full charge it now says 3 hours instead! I also noticed that while typing a simple word document, not doing anything graphics heavy, all my adobe programs closed, that it would jump wildly from 3 hours to 1.5 hours to 5 hours. I restarted it, thinking it maybe was adjusting or something, but after turning it back on, it consistently reads no more than 3.5 hours on a FULL charge.

Are there any solutions? Anybody have the same issue? Could it be bad ram? I didn't think RAM affected the battery, though, so I'm stumped.

2. JustLikeYou thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I calibrated both before and after replacing the ram. When I calibrated it a few weeks ago, it was reading at 6 hours at full charge. After replacing ram and after calibration at full charge it reads 4 hours.

This is frustrating :(