Bad battery life out of country?? iPhone 3GS unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slipper, May 17, 2010.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I'm from the US and during my two trips to the Philippines using the local service and SIM I notced very bad battery life. In the US and the Philippines, regular usage usually consists of mostly stand-by with just a couple calls or texts per day. In the US battery life is usually good for at least 2 1/2 days of life, over seas I'm lucky to get a half day. Can someone help me with this problem?

2. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

My guess, would be that in the Phillipines, you are travelling through some areas where 3G isn't as strong, so the iPhone is trying harder to keep a service active, thus using more power.

3. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Correct. You can deactivate 3G (presumably - at least you can on Android) and then battery time will be better.

Other things that work: Make sure you have better reception. Put it on the windowsill or somewhere where reception is best.

Cheers,

Tom

4. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I was not using 3G. And i even tried switching off the 3G. But same problem.

5. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Odd. Well I hadn't had this problem when I was in the Philippines a few weeks ago but I guess it can really only be that you were in an area where cell coverage was just not good and the phone was more active to keep registered as Lunchbox mentioned.

Tom