Carrier Bad info from AT&T convinced me to give up my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan! Not happy!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Sep 22, 2017.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

This is a story about me receiving bad information from an AT&T rep. That info was so bad that it sounded good enough for me to give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan. The replacement wasn't even close to being as good as what I had. Kind of like giving up a Corvette for a Prius! It started when I went to the Apple store to pick up my LTE watch. Myself along with many other people experienced problems getting them set up with our carriers. I received a message to contact AT&T. I did that and had to work through a few people until I got to a technical rep that worked hard to get the issue corrected. I give him credit for that. The problem started when he suggested that my UDP might be the reason we couldn't get it set up on the system. I told him I didn't want to change plans. I was going to hold onto my UDP like a little kid holds his teddy bear. He continued to work on the problem and contacted people in the technical department for help. Meanwhile I was in the Apple Store. People there were trying to figure it out also. We got to a point where he though we'd be good after a few steps but wasn't sure. The conversation lead into plans again so I listened to what he had to say. I suggested I give up my grandfathered UDP and 5GB iPad plan for the newer UPDs. He said each device would have 22GB of data. After that it might slow down in congested areas. I questioned the each device thing a few times because I thought it was shared data. Each time he told me it was for each of them. He said they had some problems before but learned from their mistakes. I figured he created new plans and they sounded pretty good. I'm lucky to use a total of 20 GB most months. There has been a few months that I've gone over that but it's rare. And lately I've been using 7-9GB on my iPad so I've been paying an extra $20-$40 per month. This info pushed me over the edge so I agreed to change plans. He even told me that he was in the tech department so it didn't matter to him which plan I use. He was just trying to suggest the best one for me.

It took one more call while at the Apple Store to get the watch set up (close to 3 hours total). It works great. I was using my iPad's hotspot to update another device while on the way to the mall. I later tried to use it and found that it wasn't working. Hum... I then tried to do it with my phone. No luck there either! This evening I jumped on AT&T's site to look at the plans That's when I found that guy talked me into a bad situation. First, I was right about the data. It's a shared 22GB bucket and NOT 22GB for each device. If that isn't bad enough, my download speed is now 3 Mbps instead of the FAST LTE speeds that I've been used to for years. And then I realize I no longer have personal hot spots (my iPad did, the phone didn't). Finally, no HD video streaming. I am NOT a happy camper!!!!!!!!

I called AT&T to see what could be done. The first rep kept saying he was sorry but that was all he could do. He offered the next plan up that provides LTE service, hot spots and HD streaming. But that costs more than I was paying before plus I had full unlimited data. And the other guy gave me bad info. I wanted what he told me I was going to have or my old UDP back. The rep said he didn't see that he could give me that plan back. I was think transferred to someone higher than him. She also said she couldn't give me my old plan but escheated the case to the Back Office Team. She said they can do a lot more than most people there. If there is a chance of me getting my old plan back, they are the people that can make it happen. She didn't say what will happen if they can't. So now I wait. It should be 3-5 days until I hear back from them.

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

How do you feel about att now? You still want to be with them?

3. iMas70, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I told one of the reps that guy should be fired!!! AT&T has been good to me over the years. I've been with them for a long time. First it was Cingular and then AT&T. Fast speeds, great coverage and usually no problems to call them about. This is a big one and I made sure they know how I feel about the situation. I want my UDP back! If that can't happen, I'll settle for the Unlimited Plus package for the price for the Unlimited Choice plus some other compensation. I can be happy with that one. Especially with the hot spots on each device. But I'm still paying more and my FAN discount (23%) doesn't apply. I was paying about $130 with taxes per month for the UDP on my phone and 5GB plan for the iPad.

Choice is $135 and Plus is $165. Details for those plans -
    https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1182926

4. spiderpumpkin macrumors regular

5. BillyBobT Suspended

You will get your udp plan back! I remember going to Best Buy to do an upgrade and they managed to 'upgrade' me to where I had NO DATA PLAN on my line when I had the gudp plan myself. So I called att tech support and they may or may not have called another department but in the end I got my gudp back

6. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Unlimited package is still good. By the way, I'm sorry about your situation.

7. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

3-5 days? You need to call and get the retentions loyalty department. If you call and choose cancel plan, you will get right through to them. If not, request that department only. Don't even bother talking to anyone else. Don't play that phone tag game with ATT. They most likely won't call you back.

8. iFranciscoMata Suspended

iFranciscoMata

Sorry, about your frustration! The 22GB is not shared, it’s per line. Now the Choice plan does not include any of the awesome benefits! The plus would be the way to go in this situation! I found it to be a cheaper plan for my customers! But than again I don’t have your bill to reference.

Another thing if you are thinking of switching T-Mobile has awesome promotions I can walk you through. I wouldn’t be able to set you up for service but I can go over rate plans, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Plus the cool thing with T-Mobile ours is not 22GB instead it’s 50GB!! Yes - you read that right!

9. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

10. iFranciscoMata Suspended

iFranciscoMata

Verizon’s new plans don’t offer HD anymore. So you are paying $$$$$$$ for no reason. Plus their network is getting slower each day. I have friends with Verizon. Everything was good until unlimited data started lol

11. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

TMO took away corporate discounts, they won't benefit from that 23% off right?

12. iFranciscoMata Suspended

iFranciscoMata

No, they also took them off because of their cheaper rate plans and no taxes now. So you get a better deal!

13. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

What do you have ? And how happy are you ?

14. HDFan macrumors 65816

If you get back on the unlimited plan will they allow you add your watch to your plan? I dropped my plan years ago when it became clear that they were doing everything they could to get me off my plan (increased price, no tethering, etc.). Went to T-Mobile and haven't looked back.

15. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

My monthly bill looked like this with my GUDP -

Nation 450 - $39.99
    Unlimited messaging - $20.00
    Unlimited 4G data - $40.00
    FAN discount ($18.40)

Add in taxes and fees. The phone plan was $81.59

I had a 5G plan for my iPad. That was $50.00 ($38.50 with my FAN discount) Total was $40.51 with taxes and fees. Total bill - $131.59.

Now my bill is $135.00 plus taxes and fees for 3G speeds (Yes... 3G!!!!!). No hot spot on my iPad, no HD video streaming, and I lost for unlimited on the phone.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No worries. Grandfathered plan isn’t worth keeping anymore. I gave mine up in Feb. when TMob and VZW started their pissing match. For the same money you spent on your ATT grandfathered plan you can get unlimited on VZW and you’ll have tethering too. If you live in a decent TMob area and don’t travel much you can go with them and you’ll actually save $20/mo.

17. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Never.. Give up.. Your unlimited data.. Ever.

18. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

No matter who or what you y’all to.... you aren’t getting your old plan back. You need to face that now because it’s impossible.

I doubt they do anything for you, maybe a small big credit.

Screw these stupid customer service reps who constantly lie to switch people. I have direct TV (ATT) and they all told my mother she would get $200 Visa card if she switched.

Almost 1 year later and my mother calling no joke 50+ times, told us the rep lied we weren’t eligible (although we received many ads in the mail before and after showing they were offering to anyone who switched)

19. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Call #1 today AT&T this morning. We talked, more like I talked to the representative for about 5 minutes. I explained what was going and only got to the part about not having unlimited and being on a 3G plan. She told me that even though the plan is advertised as being 22GB, she has never had anyone call to say their service was slow after that. She also told me my speed is faster than 3G. After I told her about testing and then get into my other issues... she hung up.

On hold for call #2.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    There is a chance I won't get my plan back but they will remember who I am. I have a number of AT&T stores near me. I'll make it a hobby to be a thorn in their side. I'd have no problem sharing my experience with customers and potential customers.

20. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Haven’t had any issues. Verizon is still much more consistent than T-Mobile in terms of coverage. I’ll take being able to place call over having slightly faster download speeds (which are still a joke compared to my internet at home)

21. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm currently on the phone with a supervisor at AT&T. I made sure I started getting employee names and ID numbers after Shyrine hung up on me. I got her name when I survey was texted to me. He's working to get everything straightened out. Putting me on a temporary data plan until my can get my GUDP back. He's fairly confident that it can be done. He said it wouldn't happen if I changed plans on my own then wanted to go back but they can fix is because I was misinformed. I should receive a message letting me know it's all set in a few days. I'll update the thread when that happens.

22. BillyBobT Suspended

Hoping for the best

23. rui no onna, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I think the LTE Apple Watch is the problem. That's probably what's forcing you onto the newer plans. If you really want your old plan back, I'd just give up the watch.

As mentioned, the 22GB is per device and the iPad does support hotspot (albeit hotspot limited to 10GB per device). However, the less expensive Unlimited Choice is limited to 3Mbps and SD video. The Unlimited Plus is the one that's not throttled (up to 22GB).

Errata: Hotspot is on Unlimited Plus only. No hotspot support for Unlimited Choice.

24. FoxD macrumors 6502a

I am about to give up my old Unlimited Plan for Unlimited Plus. I will save money since I have four lines total. I understand that the new Unlimited Plus should be the same as the old one, correct? Am I missing something?

25. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

Yea pretty sure you can’t add an Apple Watch to the old plans hence why the change.

Which is why most in old plans don’t update to the new stuff

Still don’t believe you will get you grandfathered plan back because these reps are clueless but if you do then props

Wishing you luck