Bad Rate between Airport TC and Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appleguy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

I have a house one end is where the Telecommunication gear comes in Thats where I have my Original Airport Time Capsule set up. Recently I put another LCD TV in our Living room with an Apple TV attached to it. Streaming to a NAS drive. It was running fine when it was closer to my TC.
    The Living room is the other end of the house. and I was getting Pausing a lot. I Have tried to put the other end of the Living room my old Airport Extreme 802.11n (fast Ethernet 10/100) with extend Wireless Mode and that still doesnt take effect. it seems as if the ATV is still wanting to connect to the TC rather than the EXT. But still the EXT doesnt want to connect at a faster rate that 15. Any ideas how to get this rate up?

Basically the 2 Airport base stations are line of site down a hall way.
    Running 802.11n 5ghz mode (5 other 2.4GHZ networks neighbours.) about 20 Paces apart. Both did have the latest firmware of 7.5.2 but my white macbook had troubles connecting so downgrade to 7.3.1 on both. I have attached The logs if it helps.
    Smithson TC is my TimeCapsule where my DSL connection comes in. Smithson Extreme is in the dining room.

Attached Files:

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i, too live in an area with lots of other networks around, causing wireless interference for my network.

my solution (and recommendation to you) was to hardwire my TVs to my TC using powerline adapters.

in fact, i have all my gear hardwired except my mobile devices.

edit: more on how to evaluate the relationship between signal and noise numbers here.

3. appleguy thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

Mine in the only 5ghz network all others are 2.4 there are 3/4 other networks depending on the wind lol

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you are aware that the 5 GHz signal deteriorates over distance, though ? in a dual-band environment, wireless clients tend to connect to the strongest available signal which, given the right conditions, more often than not is the 2.4 GHz band, which is prone to interference.

also, there may be closed (hidden) networks nearby that tools such as iStumbler won't pick up.

you might want to experiment with the radio channel your TC is broadcasting on - you may find a channel that will work better for your network.

finally, there are other sources of interference (see the article i provided the link for) that you may not be able to overcome (power lines, electrical railroad tracks, and power stations for instance).

in the end, the only reliable form of networking is a physical ethernet connection, however, i'm using powerline adapters quite successfully in my network.

good luck !

5. appleguy thread starter macrumors 6502

appleguy

Well when I get home tonight I will try it as N only under 2.4.
    If that works I might upgrade my extreme.