Bad sound quality on iPhone 5S T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doc69, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I switched to an iPhone 5S on T-Mobile from a 4S on Verizon. The sound quality is terrible. It is very tinny and sharp, with almost no bass and too much high frequencies. It also sounds slightly distorted at times. It's so bad that it actually hurts in my ears when I use it with the white Apple headset, so I have to turn the volume way down. I did not have this issue with my 4S on Verizon.

Have anyone else experienced this? I don't know if it's the phone or T-Mobile. T-Mobile is supposed to have "HD" sound, but I have not yet called another T-Mobile phone so I don't know if that would make a difference. However, when I call T-Mobile customer service at 611, the sound is just as bad as when I call AT&T or Verizon cell phones or landlines.

2. KUPARA, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

KUPARA macrumors regular

KUPARA

Did you take the plastic off?

(as this is written 1481844910414732 times before) :eek:

3. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did. And as I wrote, I'm using a headset. The sound is the same with both the newer Apple headset as well as the previous one. And music sounds basically the same as with the 4S. So there seems to be no issues with the headset or the audio output itself.

4. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Well nothing is wrong with your phone, I had the same problem for almost a week and I just started looking online the other day and found this:
    http://gadgetunit.com/2013/09/20/mysterious-t-mobile-15-1-carrier-update-iphone-dissected-changelog/

If TL;DR then basically TMobile pushed a carrier update out to the 5S & 5C owners that for some awful reason disable HD Voice, and a boatload of other features that i have no reason why.

Long Story short I just followed this guide:
    http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/hacked-t-mobile-carrier-update-boosts-speed-for-iphone-5-1900mhz-refarmed-users/

And installed a old hacked carrier update since that one was from a iP5 with HD Voice enabled originally from TMOBILE, and also it supposedly increases data speeds so it's a win win :)

Before I did that EVEry person I would talk to say I sound like I'm in a tunnel or like I'm am Ant lol...
    Well like I said just follow that guide and install the carrier update and it should fix ur problems

5. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a bit weary of installing this iPhone 5 hack on a new iPhone 5S. Specifically since many people in the thread had some issues with it on their iPhone 5's. It seems crazy that T-Mobile would push out a carrier update that would make the sound quality worse?

Hopefully there is another solution on the way.

6. happycamper515 macrumors newbie

Given that it says you can easily go back if the hack doesn't work it's certainly worth a try if it is as bad as you say. I'm moving back to TMO after 2 years on Verizon having switched to them from TMO so I do have some minor concerns.

But when I had Blackberry flip phones on TMO 2 years ago I don't recall any issues with TMO service back then and if anything, their coverage should be a lot better having rolled out HSPA+ and LTE since I moved to Verizon.