bad to leave a mbp on for a long period of time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frankiechan1, Mar 14, 2009.

1. frankiechan1 macrumors member

hi there

is it bad to keep a mbp on for a n extra long time coz my isp throttle torrent at peak periods n the onli time they dont is at night whichi gotta sleep... is it harmful to the mbp if i leave it on n wit it on is that eve4n tho the battery is full i will haff the power pllughged into it...

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think so. Just make sure it turns the display off, and it's fine.

3. frankiechan1 thread starter macrumors member

so keeping the mbp on will haf no effect on the battery at all?

i heard if u keep it in full cycle the battery will last longer

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

5. frankiechan1 thread starter macrumors member

what u mean if i dont use it from now n then?? i have to unplug my mbp from the monitor and keyboard n audio system and like my external hd ever'yday for skoo... r u saying i wont b technically " using " the battery when its full n ifits plugged?

6. NickM macrumors 6502

He means "don't only use it when it's plugged into the power adapter."
    It is good to drain the battery and re-charge it from time to time.
    Leaving it at 100% and always plugged into the wall is not good, over a long period of time, for the battery.

7. frankiechan1 thread starter macrumors member

so leaving it on at night plugged for torrent wont b good right?

8. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't it? The computer is ment to be used. It might not be as nice for your power bill doing it constantly but other then that no issue. What the other posters here ment was from time to time a battery needs to be discharged in order for it to retain its capacity. So the way you are using it is fine. The long period they ment is like months at a time, not for a hours or for that matter days.

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Leaving a Mac Pro all night = Good
    Leaving a MacBook Pro all night = OK

10. NickM macrumors 6502

Please explain what you mean by that.

11. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

By OK... i mean. It's good & bad for the computer.

BAD

- Drain battery life
    - Drain hard drive life
    - Overheat the logic board

When you download, your laptop don't sleep... Your HD has to keep spinning... and to keep it spinning, it needs to energize the logic board... and for that it needs energy of your battery.
    But laptops are not designed to be used as desktops.

Laptops are designed to be used for less then 10hours, Desktops can be used for 24/7.

12. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Hahahahaha, that is the biggest joke I have ever read. Laptops are no different they just use smaller pieces of hardware.

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Small pieces of hardware = Fragile.

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Not necessarily, and your claims about it being "BAD" are unfounded.

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

laptops have more restricted cooling, run hotter, this will lead to shorter lifespan if run 24/7 than a desktop.

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

From the article linked to above, which I guess you didn't read:

Read the rest of that article. All you need to know about the batteries in Apple laptops are there...

17. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I'm not going to bother explaining how this is totally untrue, anyone who wants to look into microchip production can do it on their own.

They CAN run hotter, but that is the point of the fans in a laptop, they are ment to keep the computer at operating temperatures. As long as the fans are not being stopped from running when they are required too, there is no problem.

To the OP, use your laptop as much as you like, it will not hurt it. To maintain your battery make sure you discharge the battery at least once a month. Read here for more info about the battery in your laptop http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html .

Edit: As a side note to the OP, my laptop is on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I make sure the screen goes off when I am not at it. Yes the hard drive life will be slightly decreased due to the number of read/writes, but that will be minimal and the replacement of a HD is cheap. Everything will be fine for a normal life time of the computer.

18. frankiechan1 thread starter macrumors member

thats what ive been thinking.... but less than 10 hrs?! naw i just leave it on whenever i have to use it n shut it down if i don't use it.... so im guessing leaving it on at night wud b bad huh coz of the harddrive n crap... not to mention dont keeeeeeeep a full cycle for the battery

oh! just wonderinfg will the mbp still b on if u remove the battery while its plugged? coz right now the battery is full and i kinda wanna keep a full cycle of it n unplug it from the power

19. DYER macrumors 6502

This is rediculous.
    My old toshiba was on for 20 hours a day for 2 years and never developed any problems and you are trying to tell me my £2000 MBP cannot do the same???
    I guess if it does have a problem apple care will replace it but I do not expect it to go wrong just because I use the damn thing?

20. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

According to your logic it wouldn't be good to use the iMac for more then 10 hours then, because that has pretty much all laptop parts inside it.

I use my macbook pro as a desktop most of the time. I take it with me to the office once or twice a week when I go in, and I bring it right home and its used as a desktop till the next week. No problems what so ever. The macbook is a very well engineered notebook and could be on for days on end with no problems. And if you keep the 9400m, the fans keep it very cool compared to other notebooks.

21. bossxii macrumors 68000

10 hours.... oh how these forums are pure entertainment lol. I'm amazed some of these people actually can turn on their computers to post.
    :eek:

22. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

*Exasperated*

The things you need to know:

1. MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and iMacs all use MOBILE TECHNOLOGY. What you see inside your MBP or MB are the same components on the iMac, just a tad smaller.

2. Apple laptops were built to never be shut down. That's one of the reasons why the Power Button on the new Unibodies are next to invisible.

3. The most wear and tear to the Hard Drive (and every other peripheral inside your Mac) comes from booting up, just as a car's engine experiences more wear and tear during engine start. Remember, during boot, everything is suddenly energized. From a cool and immobile state, everything begins warming up rapidly and starts spinning at outrageous speeds. Your logic board starts to expand and so do the discs within your hard drive due to the change in temperature. Constantly shutting down and booting up can actually cause MORE damage to technology due to the immediate temperature change. Another thing you have to remember is that launching the OS makes the Hard Drive spin at top speed since it needs to access all the data needed to launch the OS.

4. Keeping computers "on" keeps them at a stable temperature therefore reducing the expanding and contracting that happens to plastic and metal during temperature changes. If you're going to get into Reads and Writes of a Hard Drive while it's idle, I'll tell you that the total number of spins it'll make in a few nights won't even come close to the total number of spins it'll make during just 1 start-up.

5. Keeping a computer "on" keeps all important files in RAM therefore reducing strain to your HD.

6. Keeping Macs on enables the OS to run its Maintenance scripts that keep it in tip-top shape. Remember, there're DAILY, WEEKLY, and MONTHLY scripts.

Seriously, all the laptops in my signature have never been shut down (except when those Apple Software Updates are released) since I purchased them. The MacBook is now 3 years old. Count the number of updates released for Leopard since November of 2006 till now, and you'll get the number of times that MacBook has been restarted. Don't even get me started on my 4 iMacs...

My advice, keep 'em "on" and warm... You'll have faster access to your applications and files. No more waiting for boot-up.

23. pyroo macrumors member

I had a 12" powerbook, I usually leave it on for over 24 hours at least 3 times a week, it's been almost 4 years and its running just as good when I first got it, therefore, laptops meant to be used for less than 10 hours is preposterous, plus, leave it on at a certain time and the laptop will undergo "cleaning"???? it will run some scripts that will keep your laptop running fast!! lol...

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I had a laptop I used for over a year that I left on my desk 24/7 with Folding@home running in the background. Thats 100% cpu for a complete year (excluding a few restarts for updates). Besides the battery going bad, the system still ran strong.