Baffled by the ignorance...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ritmomundo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I just wanted to share my Apple Store experience from yesterday afternoon.

I walked in and asked to speak to a "genius" about my iPhone. I was expecting to wait a while since I didn't have an appointment. The lady with the iPad in charge of the appointments told me that everything was filled for the rest of the day and that I could make a reservation for tomorrow (meaning today). That's fine, so I made an appointment for the next day.

On my way out, I stopped to play with the new rMBP, and I checked the Apple retail site, and lo and behold, there's a bunch of appointments available in the evening. I go back and talk to the appt lady and ask her for one of those appointments. She says "nothing is open." I show her the page on the rMBP showing open slots, and she reluctantly says "umm ok" and gives me an appointment for 45 minutes later. :confused: Why would she lie? I don't understand what she would gain from it.

While I'm waiting, I'm playing with a display black iPhone 5, and I'm approached by a Apple blue shirt. I ask him if there have been many complaints about the black scratching more than the white. He says he hasn't heard anything, but that he would probably expect the black to show more scratches and fingerprints than the white. He proceeds to pick up the white iPhone in the next display and says, "come look, you'd be less likely to see scratches on the white iPhone 5, but... hmm, that's strange. It looks like it shows more fingerprints" as he's looking at the all-glass back. At that point, I told him he was holding the iPhone 4S. :eek: He looked kind of embarrassed so I laughed it off and he walked away.

2. Rad-o macrumors member

Maybe the lady did not check enought , i laughed when i read the part sbout the guy :p

----------

Maybe the lady did not check enought , i laughed when i read the part about the guy :p

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Are you really surprised?

It's funny. When I was in school, I went through the interview process to work at the store. I actually made it to the end, but of course got shut down when I told them I was graduating in the near future (still was a year...) so they didn't take me for that reason. BUT, the people that work there are so stupid.

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Haven't you posted that 100 times already ? Sorry you didn't get hired but it's time to move on :)

5. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Wow. Well, I'm not entirely surprised at their ignorance, but, well, I am a little. I've stepped foot in an Apple Store only a handful of times, and experiences like this make me want to stay away from them completely.

When I was buying a MBP a couple years ago, the sales rep tried to convince me that I could build an equally specced Dell laptop for the same price (or more) than the MBP. I knew this wasn't true (and I had my mind set on getting the MBP), so just for kicks, I asked him to show me. He pulled up the Dell website, and the machine he built came out to less than $800, almost half the price of the MBP. He kept insisting that he must have missed a step in the build process, until finally I said, "whatever, just ring me up."

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Lol... no? Must have been someone else. You're welcome to check my othere posts ... because I don't think I've ever posted about that.

I'm glad I didn't get the job ... I ended up getting hourly paid for 3 times as much. Everything happens for a reason.

7. richmds macrumors regular

So does this mean you are intellectually superior and they identified this which prompted them to quickly not consider you?
    Or did you not even get accepted into a circle of stupid people?

8. ALMF macrumors regular

maybe she had a lunch date with a genius and wanted to clear his schedule.

You could have let a manager know, but that prob would not solve anything. They are not high paid people so you cant expect much better service out of them than a fast food joint.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Not really surprised about the genius bar thing as i have no idea how that system works or if they reserve some slots or whatever.

The guy picking up the 4s as the iPhone 5 is a classic tho lol.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

At the Apple Store I worked at, if the Genius Bar ran out of appointments in one queue (say, iPhone) early in the day, but other queues (Mac, or iPods) weren't particularly busy, they'd have a Genius Admin close off some of the unbooked slots in the not busy queue, and reopen them up in another queue (say, iPhone).

So if that store did have all of the iPhone reservations filled up, and that's what the people on the floor knew, and then the store opens up some iPhone slots, but doesn't pass the word to the people on the floor, then they're going to continue to tell people that there's nothing available.

Also, it's not unheard of for people who already had an appointment booked to cancel (from home, via the web) for whatever reason, which also opens their slot back up.

So I don't know if the person helping you was purposefully lying. Like you said, what does she gain?

At the store I worked at, we never made the appts for the customer. We always brought the customer over to an open Mac and showed them how to book their own.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It means I got more insight into how stupid they even appear from a customer's perspective.

Hmm, many times people tend to overlook the many things Dell excludes, but is included in the Apple equivalent:

- Webcam
    - Bluetooth (Especially 4.0)
    - Beefed CPU (Not all i7's are created equally)
    - Graphics/GPU
    - Backlit Keybord
    - Dual-band Wifi
    - Windows 7 Ultimate (Not home)
    - Recovery discs
    - Better battery

When I built these in, my Dell "equivalent" arrived at just below $1800. Versus the equivalent $2200 Macbook Pro, surely they aren't the same price, but it's not as big as a gap as the typical user may realize.

Plus, every company or university I've been involved with has discounts that are around 10% off on Apple products. I don't think Dell is as generous in this regard, but I could be wrong.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well the appointment thing probably has to do with the overwhelming volume of people they are getting, so it is easier for them to tell you to make your own appointment than do it for you.

The guys with the 4S probably was just having a brain laps haha....i'm sure he can tell the difference as anyone can.

13. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

No home edition is the equivalent to mac OS not ultimate. Mac os does not offer hardware level encyption, offer terminal server (remote desktop host, not the client), or any of the other features that professional and ultimate get you over home premium. In fact the only thing ultimate includes that professional does not is bitlocker which apple doesn't offer support for period on any machine or software.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Also with Apple, I get US based in person technical support. Dell could say have US based support, but it still isn't face to face as they don't have any physical locations that I know of.

Also, I get a computer made of metal instead of plastic.

15. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

off topic but relevant;

I bought some new tires a month or so ago, and I used the same tire store I have used a couple of times. I have been in the auto industry my whole life over 25 years working in it, so I know cars.

I have a mini cooper that's lowered.

the young guy behind the counter (new to me, may have been a new hire) when I asked about the tire wear on my car he said..........

"you see, your car has a lower stance than most cars, and because of that it sits heavy on its tires, heavier than most other cars." (?) he then says, "do you see that impala next to your car? I said yes, he said, your car sits heavier on your tires than that car.......

what ever, I didnt argue, I just was all,, OK wow, I didnt know that (idiot).

I will not be going back there.....

Just goes to show you, just because they work there doesnt mean they know anything about what they sell....lol

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There maybe an explanation, which maybe she should have gone into the trouble of explaining.

There maybe 2 separate queues, 1 online, another one in-person.

These days, just about all businesses want u to do things online. The mainframe is on 24x7, doesn't cost them anything, ur doing the work. In person, the employee has to spend time with you, employees' salary is the biggest expense for most corporations.

I know I can get airline ticket cheaper online with the same company (not third party), than in-person at the airport, for the reason explained.

17. bogg, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

I almost never run Windows, but what Major benefit do BitLocker offer me that FileVault2 does not?
    Oh, by the way, FileVault2 uses hardware accelerated encryption as well...

OS X offers me VNC server capabilities, why would that be worse than RDP server? All Macs have a VNC client built in, just as Windows has an RDP client built in...

18. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Bitlocker is hardware level encryption meaning it uses a physical hardware key. Thats not anywhere close to the same as using hardware acceleration, which bitlocker also makes use of.

Lower version of windows still have access to the encypted file system (EFS) which is what is directly comparably to filevault2.
    Remote desktop terminal server is completely different than VNC. VNC simply shares the screen. RDP hosts a session thats completely seperate from the console session on the physical machine.

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Lion brought support for hardware level encryption. I use remote desktop functionality on a daily basis, so I'm not sure which functionality you're looking for in regards to that, which is missing in OS X.

That said, there are things that either OS performs better than the other, that's a given.

Let's look at features Windows 7 Home is missing:

- Can't run more than 8Gb of RAM
    - Doesn't include the 64bit Disc
    - Cannot backup to network
    - No built-in DVD encoder
    - Not fully themed with Aero
    - No multitouch
    - No included games
    - Cannot encrypt file system
    - No windows media center
    - No Applocker
    - Support for other languages

ML either automatically includes these features or has similar comparable ones.

Again, not saying that one OS is better than the other, but Windows 7 Home is definitely not on the level of ML.

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think they added that back in Lion (the ability to remote in with your own session, without disturbing the user at the console of the Mac).

[​IMG]

http://www.macstories.net/reviews/os-x-lion-screen-sharing-overview/

21. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Thats not true at all. Your looking at home basic which is only offered in emerging markets (low income, third world). Windows home premium is the lowest version available for purchase in the US, and Europe. Same goes for OEM copies. Starter is for netbooks only and has been largely phased out. By far the most popular version is home premium which includes everything you listed.

22. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

RDP forces you to log off from the local Machine in Windows XP, does RDP in Windows 7 allow several simultaneous connections? Haven't tried that with Win7.

What does a TPM controlled encryption key help more than not allowing me to swap the harddrive to another computer in case the motherboard goes haywire on me?

23. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Its important for corporate laptops where if the laptop is stolen the information can't be accessed. You can do concurrent connections in windows 7 by enabling a registry entry and applying a small patch.

24. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

In what way does a TPM module make it harder for the thief to access the data on the harddrive than without a TPM module. If the Same AES encryption is used in both cases?

In that stolen system, how do the normal user unlock their files in any different way than on a Mac system? Wouldn't cracking the user password allow the files for both systems anyway, or do the Windows user need to do some mumbo jumbo hoodo voodoo **** to unlock their beloved files held by the almighty TPM-chip?

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's nice to know Geniuses are as smart as Samsung lawyers. ;)

In regard to your appointment, I expect glitches when a person tries to insert themselves manually into an on-line / automated process. Not saying you're wrong to try, it's that I'm not surprised by the results.