Ball Drop: Where is the 30-pin to Lightning adapter??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GravityEyes, Oct 6, 2012.

1. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

Certainly I'm not the only one wondering why this was not ready by release. Sure, its a first world problem, but after vacationing for a week, and having to carry around the Lightning cable, I'm ready to buy up a half dozen of these adapters ASAP.

2. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Agree it would have been nice to have these by now.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I am thinking that around xmas we start seeing them at this rate

4. darkside flow macrumors 6502

This is the only thing I'm pissed about given my flawless phone out of the box.

I want to use this thing on my Bose dock already! Inexcusable that it hasn't even shipped in 3 weeks since ordering.

5. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Sometimes I can't figure logic of this huge companies, millions of people without work and we are without adapters :) Chinese can't make it in time, do it here in US or Mexico. Why should we wait so long and after that they will be asking some large $ for them anyway. I can't connect HDMI adapter, I can't reuse my charges in car etc!!!

6. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You can buy a half dozen of the cables at $19 each.

7. GravityEyes thread starter macrumors regular

GravityEyes

True, but that still doesn't resolve all the issues. Camera Connection kit (used for MIDI instruments), Line 6 audio interface, HDMI out, etc.

8. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

9. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

AFAIK the adapter doesn't support video out.

10. GravityEyes thread starter macrumors regular

GravityEyes

I'm going to guess there is a problem with it due to the inclusion of a DAC (digital to analog converter). Yes, DAC's have been around for over 30 years but maybe there is an unforeseen manufacturing challenge?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Explain please?

How is it inexcusable that something with such high demand (meaning they're being manufactured as fast as they can (faster than is good for factory workers)) has not made its way to one of the millions of people that has ordered it yet?

12. AJAAY macrumors regular

I've been wondering this too. I just got off the phone with 3 Best Buys and the Apple Store, and nothing in yet. My Bose Sounddock is collecting dust in the corner. :eek:

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Nobody has them yet - that's the problem.

This is one of the biggest changes to Apple's products since 2003 and they don't seem to have prepared for it properly.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup. Thats how crazy demand works....

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

WHAT!?

There are literally (and I mean literally) none. Not a single one. Nobody in the universe has one yet.

It's not short supply - it's NO supply.

I go to the Apple Store and there are 50+ lightning to USB cables, but there simply aren't any of the more expensive and desirable 30-pin to Lightning adaptors.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you want them to work, or do you want a bunch of poorly produced products because it will get to your home sooner?

Look at all the people going ******* about aluminum being scuffed. Do you think Apple (meaning Foxconn assembly, which is already at full production just for the iPhone, let alone the accessories) wants to ship things adapters that may be defective or would you rather they take the time to get it right?

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd rather that they planned so that they would be ready for the launch of the iPhone 5 and new iPod touch.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And clearly that didn't happen. So dealing with THIS reality, how do you think they should proceed? Make it work, or just ship it out and face potential backlash?

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

We don't know why it's delayed, but the end result is the same: the adaptors aren't in the hands of their users.

If they had co-ordinated things better, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Whatever's happened, it can't be good. It's probably not going to help the supply situation and they're still telling anyone that orders one, virtually anywhere in the world, that it will ship in "October".

I'm quite annoyed generally about the adaptor. It costs £25 here (which is expensive, but we've all been over that before and I can accept the price), but the shipping on it is £4 (about $6.50) - which is extortionate considering how much the product costs (at least by UK standards). If I could go to an Apple Store and buy it then I would.

20. HelperMonkey macrumors member

Apple completely dropped the ball by not having these available at the time of the release. It's ridiculous.

21. wepiii macrumors 6502a

I think the poster talking about demand must be missing something. Maybe he thinks you are talking about the phone?

22. DylPickle85 macrumors member

Me thinks the new CEO is really dropping the ball with this release: no adapters still, apologizing for Maps and making recommendations to competitors products, scuff gate and ensuing strikes at Foxconn - Steve Jobs would have never let this crap happen!

23. darkside flow macrumors 6502

So they can manufacture the phone fast enough to somewhat meet demand but a small adapter at a tenth of the price and only a small fraction of the technology can't be produced fast enough to even ship one unit within 3 weeks of ordering?

They had at least a year to prepare for it. The adapter should have been in production under the same timelines as the phone. They can't possibly only produce one product at a time given their vast lineup.

No biggie, we're all dealing, but it just seems there was no thought to it.

24. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Of course you are correct- they should definitely work properly. And this IS the situation as it now exists, that much is certain.
    But I think the main point is that Apple didn't decide to use this new connector 2 days before they released the iPhone 5. It's been in the planning phase for an extended period of time.
    And somewhere along the line, whether because of technical challenges, manufacturing issues or whatever, they dropped the ball. And part of the concern being expressed here is precisely that- if you're a major player in a marketplace and want to continue to be thought of as the Platinum Standard against which all other competitors are measured, you don't drop the ball on this (and other things) related to the iPhone 5/ IOS6 releases.

25. gentlefury macrumors 68030

This little accessory should have been manufactured in massive bulk as soon as they decided on this connector, probably over a year ago! The adapter should be in every apple store in the world, in bulk. It is pretty inexcusable that they would release a phone with a new proprietary connector and not give any legacy support at all.

Better yet, they should just be giving it away with every purchase for first year purchasers! It probably costs them 25¢ to produce and they sell it for $30!