Ballmer is an ass

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by str1f3, Jun 7, 2009.

1. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Link

Essentially Ballmer is mad that Obama wants to close all the tax loopholes and tax shelters that the rich use to pay less taxes. He is threatening to move many of Microsoft's jobs overseas. How American! This guy is such a scumbag. Every time something comes out of his mouth I get the hives.

This is the right thing to do. The US is in trouble financially and it's only the rich whose income has skyrocketed during the Bush administration while thequality of living for the average American actually went down. I say let him go. They'll lose any protection the US gave him against the EU as being a monopoly. I wish nothing but misery for these kinds of people?

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    The world gets by on the backs of nice people doing the right thing, and unfortunately we cannot mandate people to do the right thing. People are just too greedy. Bill Maher said it well the other night when he said we are one of a few cultures where we not only are greedy but say greed is good. He had some joke about how ABBA would never come out with an album called Get Rich or Die Trying. (His point being that Swedes wouldn't glamorize money like we do.)

Anyhow, I'm a liberal who thinks we need more conservative values in terms of business people doing the right thing (like I'm told they did in days of old when companies cared about their employees and customers). I don't like the idea of character education, so I don't know what the answer is.

3. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I read that the money corporations make on foreign soil is taxed in those nations - so taxing in the US is double-tax, correct?

I can sort of see this argument from both sides. Then again, I'm not agreeing w Ballmer's way of going about it, and it's certainly not like the guy can't afford to lose any money.

Big Corporate Goons who whine and get pissed off when they make a few million less than they usually do need to understand what it really means to have a hard knock. Losing 10% of a multimillion dollar payroll or having to sell one of their yachts doesn't count.

4. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I believe the tax rate is lower which is part of why they move over there. The second is paying shockingly low wages of their employees.

The ratio of the CEO's average pay vs. the worker has skyrocketed since the 50s. It used to be 3 or 4:1 and now it's like 200:1. There has been this ever increasing selfishness from the business community that has started since the '80s. As I am a fan of Bill Maher myself, I'm particularly glad he attacked the "greed is good" mantra of Wall Street. They are huge part of the reason why the economy tanked and now they don't want to pay taxes that should be paid.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes - I don't think any other country tries to tax the profits their companies make, and are taxed on, overseas.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Didn't Microsoft use bailout $? :rolleyes:

The corporations move overseas because it's cheaper. If it's not cheaper anymore, maybe they won't move in the first place and we can keep more jobs here. I believe that's part of Obama's point.

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think in the end President Obama will swerve into this solution: change our taxation system so it encourages personal savings and capital investment staying in the USA. This means making personal bank accounts essentially tax-free on interest income and drastically reducing the capital gains rate to what is common in Europe--very low to zero.

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am sure M$ already has a lot of jobs ported overseas. More jobs lost here would not be a good thing as they are a large company. I wonder what Gates thinks?

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Use this simple equation. Is your life or your family's life better off than it was 8 years ago? I'd suggest no and woefully worse in almost every area. Perhaps one is "lucky" and in a top performing field to disagree.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then the businesses that stay become uncompetitive with the foreign competition like General Motors did.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

GM isn't uncompetitive because they didn't move over seas, they're uncompetitive for a massive amount of reasons(prolly the wrong place to get into that, but to say its just because they didn't move, and ignoring there line up lacking in innovation is silly)

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've mixed up my arguments - I retract that point.

13. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's typical. This is what all these big time corporations (ex: Walmart) do including sports teams. They get the public to build stadiums for them while they reap all the profits.

14. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Que?

Microsoft didn't use "bailout money", the city used "stimulus money" to help fund a bridge Microsoft was partially paying for. Did you even read that article?

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Right. Big difference. We're in the worst economic times since the Great Depression, and this financially secure company dipped into public coffers for a bridge that's oh so necessary for their day to day operations.:rolleyes:

I did. Did you understand what you read?

16. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Except they didn't dip into public money, the city of Redmond did when they came up short on their end of the funding.

You're trying to play it off as if Microsoft had recieved federal money, when in fact they never did.

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Sorry, bud. You really need to re-read the article. They may not have gotten a check with M$ in the name line, but $11 Milliion taxpayer dollars directly benefited their company. Here's the headline:

Another piece:

Not sure it can be any clearer...

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If he moves jobs overseas, then we find a way to penalize that. I've said this for a long time- you wanna move jobs out of the country, fine. Let's make it not worth your while.

19. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

So you're admitting that they never recieved taxpayer money, and that Microsoft never used it. So were half way there, all you need to do now is realize that they never asked for it either.

It's pretty simple, Microsoft asks the city for a bridge, says we're willing to contribute X ammount of dollars twards it. After the costs of the project spiral upwards, Microsoft tells the city that their contribution is fixed and that if it requires more funding they're not interested. The city of Redmond then requested funding from the government, something that Microsoft had nothing to do with. While the brige benifits Microsoft (hence why they paid for a large portion of it), it is also part of a public road system and open for anyone to cross, and obviously the city of Redmond though it was a worthwhile project.

20. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

x2. All the manufacturing that's been moved out of this country over the past 30 years has really done a disservice to the American people. We get low quality made-in-china crap products, *and* the job losses to go with it. What a great strategy! :rolleyes:

Sadly, the US doesn't hardly manufacture anything any more. Take a stroll down the aisle of your favorite retail store, taking note of the country of origin. "Made in USA" is an endangered species. :(

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But then WalMart goes out of business...

You gotta convince people that they need to pay more to get stuff made in the USA, or you gotta convince US workers that they're not worth squat and pay them as such.

22. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

You just contradicted yourself.

23. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

No, I didn't. I said that Microsoft asked for a bridge, and I said that they didn't ask for federal money for that bridge.

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Wal-Mart did a pretty good job of making a big deal of "Made in the USA" on many of their products some years back, and prices weren't noticeably different. IIRC, that particular mantra went away with the passing of Sam Walton. It was a different company under his leadership.

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Well then who did Microsoft think was going to pay for the other part of the bridge???