Balmer calls iPod owners thieves

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
I want an apology!

Mr. Ballmer,

Hope you will read this. Please apologize to me, you owe me one. I have an iPod, around 11GB, yeah was MB :), of music files and all of them legitimate. I have no problem to send you my iPod to verify this, IF you really promise to send it back to me. Calling names and generalizing is that really the best you can do?
Maybe I shouldn't ask an apology, but should demand one.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Billing Microsoft as the good guys and Apple the villains
Sure security is an issue, but blaming Apple for propagating the illegal music problem is silly. It shouldn't be an us vs. them thing anyway. If he was really concerned about the issue he'd be working *with* Apple instead of being bitter that Apple has a great thing and MS doesn't.....

:rolleyes:

D

eazyway

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
the always fair MS

This from a company that knows nothing about "Fair Play". (such as trying to have only MS software run on your PC)

eroyce

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota (brrrr)
Sharewaredemon said:
and easier, easier, easier, easier, to use," he said.

pffftt
hahahahahahahha
Seriously, how could Ballmer say that it would be easier with WMP. This is just delusional. Just because M$ isn't dominating this one particular niche of the computer industry, does not mean that they could do it better if they were in charge. Why can't we all just get along and use the better products instead of positioning our companies in asinine directions we shouldn't be in.

JohnHummel

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
Only 11MB?

MarcelV said:
Mr. Ballmer,

Hope you will read this. Please apologize to me, you owe me one. I have an iPod, around 11MB of music files and all of them legitimate. I have no problem to send you my iPod to verify this, IF you really promise to send it back to me. Calling names and generalizing is that really the best you can do?
Maybe I shouldn't ask an apology, but should demand one.
Wow - only 11 MB of music? So that's, what, 3 songs? (Just kidding.)

Seriously, otherwise, I'm with you. F-you, Ballmer. I've got racks of CDs in the closet that I ripped to a machine <em>years</em> ago when I was using Windows, then Linux, and now OS X. Basically, what you're saying is that if I didn't buy my music from your store, then I'm probably a thief.

If a man walked up to me and said the same thing to my face, I'd probably slap them. Think by pandering to the RIAA and other folks telling them what they want to hear that me, the person who actually <em>buys</em> the products, is going to suddenly say "Gee, I really want a Microsoft player now!"

Or will I just say "I don't want to do business with a man who assumes I'm a thief." So if you'll excuse me, I think I'll fire up my iPod and relisten to Thursday's presidential debates and decide which candidate would be more likely to label your stupid mouth a weapon of mass duh-struction.

dombi

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2003
Typical

This is very typical from Microsoft. They think that if you competitior is doing better than you, you should buy them. If you can't buy them, create bad publicity.

Ballmer is calling iPod user thiefs? How about taking a look into the mirror. How much do they charge for their operating system? A ton... especially considering, that it is full of bug, and does not work as advertised. Not to mention them constantly stealing ideas from others....

daboo2

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2004
Hmmm, sounds familiar...

This is like a certain President basically saying "If you don't agree with me then you're un-American and if you don't vote for me you will be killed by a terrorist."

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
JohnHummel said:

Hey just said that that was currently on my iPod, not my full collection. But even that is all ripped from my own CD's or purchased online. But didn't want to ship him my PB and external drive... Can't live without that... barely will survive without my iPod. :)

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
JohnHummel said:
I caught that too. I'm sure he meant 11Gb but maybe not. He may have just got it.

Anyway to Ballmer.

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. It must not be stealing when they just undermine a company to take it over or tie them in legal knots to keep the software they obtained. But this is the mentality of the man running Microsoft. I guess you have to be an idiot or a moron to hold that potion. And saying "I think everyone who owns an iPod steals music" is proof.

To Ballmer and Microsoft go F*** yourselves. :D

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Ballmer is a complete idiot. He winds me up so much, grrr.

He was in 'The Times' newspaper today and they had a feature on him, how great he is, how rich he is, and all that he has done. I've attached it here.

I'm going to the Apple store london opening and I'm considering getting tshirts printed with 'Steve Ballmer is a thief'. hehehe, will definitely have to look into doing that.

Grrrr I hate him more than bill gates!

P.S. Sorry about the terrible scan!

Asif

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
Ripped his vocal cords shouting "Windows, Windows, Windows?" Seems he didn't learn from his mistakes. As was said on Slashdot, who's going to make this whole thing "easier, easier, easier, easier?" Probably those "developers, developers, developers, developers," he keeps going on about.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
I have only music I've downloaded from the iTMS and ripped from CDs on my iPod, but comments like that from Mr. Ballmer give me the incentive to never have a legitimate copy of any M$ software on my computer.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
There was a brilliant post over on slashdot about this.

5-second summary: ITMS is the leading store and only supports iPods, therefore iPods have more legally downloaded music on them than any other digital music player.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That picture above tells it all. Steve Balmer seems to be avery angry middle aged man. Unlike others that I can think of, he won't be happy until he has total dominance of all computer markets.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Ballmer is forgetting completely about people like me - I currently have 0 tracks that fall under the RIAA's jurisdiction in my music collection (I bought 2 iTMS songs in the past, but have since deleted them with no intentions of repurchase). How can you call me a thief? I'm an iPod owner - but the RIAA doesn't care about me, since all my music is outside their control.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, looks like I have almost nothing to say..... :D :D

dombi said:
......How about taking a look into the mirror. How much do they charge for their operating system? A ton... especially considering, that it is full of bug, and does not work as advertised. Not to mention them constantly stealing ideas from others....
Not to nit pick or anything, but last time I check on Amazon.com Windows XP Home was $99 and Panther has always been $129. (but I do agree that their OS is crap and full of bugs)

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I like how no one actually read the article.

Ballmer does not call iPod users thieves. He says that the main music format on iPods is "stolen". He's not saying iPod users are thieves. He's saying most music on iPods, and all other music players, are illegal files from P2P network.

This is true. No matter how much you Apple fanatics debate other wise, the chances of the guy I see walking down the street with an iPod (in canada no less, where we don't have ITMS) is listening to gigabytes worth of illegally downloading music.

All Ballmer is saying is that before just about anyone is buying legal tracks a big company like Microsoft has to force it down on us and it's probably true. Once Microsoft has their trusted computer scheme going and none of us can download anything and they have their WMP and Music Store set as default on 95% of newly purchased computers - Microsoft will dominate.

Read the articles.