Baltimore cop shoots teen holding replica handgun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baltimore-cop-shoots-teen-holding-replica-handgun-170737564.html

this woman needs to be slapped until the stupid goes away, she KNEW her son left with the replica BB gun ? moron

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

only in the US people want everyone armed but when a kid is armed with a fake gun he will be shot. we are really screwed up.

3. Limey77 macrumors regular

Someone certainly needs to be slapped stupid and sued to high heaven, but my vote would be the cop that shot a 13 year old who was running away and presented no threat.

But hey - guns!!!!!!!!!

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The kid wasn't licensed to open carry. It was a justified shooting.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well if it was texas it would have been fine.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

In short, it's a tragedy...

A policeman does not have the luxury of time and detective work that detectives and lawyers do have when it comes to dealing with suspects, and juveniles are not all the innocent kiddies one sees playing innocent on "Sesame Street".

Obey the policeman. A policeman has the right to subdue, and yes I am aware of cases where it was obvious police went too far as well... A trained officer has to have good reflexes and most seem to be able to aim and hit a part of a body needed to subdue, like a leg. A kid isn't zig-zagging nor is thinking about it. Straight line and bullets travel faster. It should have been simple.

Do suspects, especially those with - from a distance - could look like actual weapons - get the right to be asked? I'd say "no". do what the policeman says or be subdued, but I agree - a case where there were 6 shots makes it hard to believe the situation was as simple as that if 4 of the bullet holes are in the torso and forehead. But that is not this case, nor did I know the child was innocent or guilty of anything.

The policeman too is going through a number of psychological responses in dealing with "fight or flight" situations.

Now, pro or against police - it doesn't matter. Try to read up on what they have to do. It's not easy and it takes one hell of a tough personality to be able to endure. The least people can do is do what they tell us, while thinking of life from their perspective.

Also, never ask to go out on a date or suggest kinky uses for handcuffs. 99% of the time that doesn't work...

Now, this is still a child and is naive, sheltered, or - like the policeman - has that "fight or flight" response despite having done nothing wrong and whose state of fear resulted in running. In most cases, children are not terrorist thugs. I doubt this kid was, though giving a child - a teenager - any gun is pretty dim to begin with. Weapons to protect one's family and neighborhood are one thing. Giving a weapon to a kid, or selling toys that look like weapons, is just begging for trouble - especially these days. Too much possibility for perceptual error, so why do it?? I don't know all the details, the child probably did not know any better, and the policeman may have legitimately missed - a kid's extremities are harder to hit than the torso, anyway.

Was the child guilty of something? Maybe, maybe not. Running away like that isn't helping ANY matters. The police only has so much information that's relevant to the issue - it is not his or her job to sift details but to deal with suspects. A suspect is neither innocent nor guilty at that time.

It's also possible the child could have used the gun on people or animals, using BBs. We weren't there, we don't know the details, and giving the kid a gun or toy that looks like one - again - is just being consciously stupid, or they time traveled from 1960 back when it was apparently safe to do this because all teenagers back then were angelic... Teenagers are stereotyped for being rebels and some actually are thugs wanting to hurt people for cheap thrills, which is how stereotypes tend to develop. I wonder what the cutoff point between reality and stereotype is, and if everyone should be preemptively treated as a criminal when they're not.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2016 ---
    Whatever the lesson is, apart from "Do what the policeman says". It still feels like a tragedy, where the biggest lesson is for the parent dumb enough giving a BB gun to a young teenager that should be playing Q*Bert on his video game console instead.

8. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Here's how I see it.

Kid's mother should have never given him a replica gun to play with.

The police have the right to defend themselves in situations where it's warranted.

That said, you do expect the police to approach all situations in a calm, rational manner. Never assuming lethal force is necessary as a default.

Though considering the excessive amounts of guns we have on our streets, the police don't always have the luxury to second guess themselves in a heated moment.

We have weaved ourselves a twisted tapestry, where guns are simultaneously seen as a God given right, and a direct threat to the safety of our communities, and our responses to them are based upon a vaguely defined situational type of logic, where a group of people carrying AR-15's are exercising their 2nd amendment right, but a kid with a gun is a direct threat if he's just a little too twitchy.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so let people run around with guns in places where there is no open carry?
    perhaps the mother wants a payout from the city

11. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Cop tells you to stop, you stop, that simple, end of story end of discussion.

12. boast, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016

boast macrumors 65816

boast

I'm sure the gun looks real because he wants it to look real to protect himself in the streets.

I didn't grow up in that type of environment to know whether that is "dumb" or not...

13. Limey77 macrumors regular

Unless there is evidence of a violent crime either having been or actually being committed there is zero excuse for shooting a child who is running away.

I freely acknowledge the kids poor judgment and that of his mother if she knew he was taking th BB gun. But this is a prime example of why restrictions are needed.

Why is it possible to own something that looks like a deadly weapon? How did he get it? Why are gung ho cops allowed to shoot fleeing people when no violence has occurred?

14. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

**liberal guise** Hey man, who are you to tell me what I can and can't do? You don't know me. You can't judge me. Why do I have to do anything you say?

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's more a Libertarian stance than a Liberal one.

Am I being detained? AM I BEING DETAINED?

16. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Maybe 1 and 4. 2 and 3 are for sure lib speak.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

AM I BEING DETAINED? :mad:

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

someone with a gun is not a "child"; it's a threat.
    I don't see the general excuses for the shooting like "I was in fear for my life" or "he pointed the gun at me" so on that I will agree with you .

19. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Say the kid ran away and the gun was REAL and he then used said gun to rob a store and shoots someone and kills them. Who is going to be blamed? I would bet the cop again for letting him get away. You are damned if you do, damned if you dont!! No wining with people.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What if he ended up shooting a lady who'd eventually give birth to the scientist who'd go on to cure cancer? You just can't take these chances.

21. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Sure mock me, but I am right. Kids shoot up a school, who do they blame? Not the kid... That is the society we live in, lets point fingers, blah blah blah, bunch of crappy kids that need a spanking.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

...or a bullet to the head, because what if...

23. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Please do society a favor and don't procreate. Better yet, grab a fake gun and run from cops... because hey you're entitled to not listen to authority...

24. daflake, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016

daflake macrumors 6502a

I can assure you, no matter where I live, that if I carry a gun in my hand and walk around I will be stopped quickly and asked to drop the weapon. I hate when people compare this to a concealed or legal open carry. The firearm has to be holstered or slung in a non-agressive manner unless there is an imminent threat. You can't just walk around carrying it in your hand.

Also, if an officer did stop me I would identify that I am carrying and allow him the opportunity to disarm me for our safety. Anyone who thinks that the cop shouldn't have fired should probably sign up to become an one and see how long that train of thought lasts especially in the Baltimore area. I have lived and been to that area, and it wouldn't be a place I would want to have to work.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

STICKS AND STONES OLOL!

I never said that no one should ignore authority. I just said that you can't excuse immediate lethal force over maybes and what-ifs, and any attempt to do so is just empty justifying after the fact.
    See this, imhere? This is what you call a coherent argument based upon sound logic and reasoning.