Bandwidth Performance on Verizon Iphone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tech324, Dec 9, 2011.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

I am looking to get the Iphone 4S and I am wondering if anyone has performed speed tests on the verizon network with their phone. I see lots of speed tests from AT&T and Sprint but not so much with Verizon.

2. ras119 macrumors newbie

This is what I got.

Attached Files:

3. Busymom23 macrumors member

Using speedtest.net, I got 84ms ping; 2.22mbps down and .28mbps up on 3G in Virginia.

Hope this helps.

4. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the posts. So Verizon is not much better than Sprint? Anyone in the Sacramento area have speed test results?

Please keep posting results even if you are not in Sacramento.

5. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I live in Western PA and compared my AT&T iPhone 4 with my wife's new Verizon iPhone 4S (on 3G). I used the Speed Test App on both phones. I tested in 6 different locations around where I live. My AT&T iPhone (iPhone 4) was 3 to 4 x's faster download and upload speeds than my wife's. I couldn't believe it. I played with my wife's iPhone and noted overall it was much slower browsing on the 3G network and downloading apps. In fact, it was painfully slow. Her iPhone is much faster on Wifi than mine, which is probably due to the faster processor and better antenna. I was thinking about switching to Verizon with the iPhone 5, but I am not so sure now after seeing the horrible 3G speeds.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

1. You must live in the only part of the entire country where ATT is faster than Verizon

2. Wouldn't it be better economically to have you and your wife on the same carrier/plan?

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

AT&T will almost always have better 3G speed gsm is much better then CDMA , but it will definitely have more drop calls
    For the poster if you consider iPhone 5 might lte I will definitely get Verizon , there lte market is so much bigger then AT&T , and the speeds varies from 10-25mbps (had a thunderbolt for a while ) so thats great

8. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

His isn't the only part of the country, I always get at least double the speed on my AT&T 4s than my daughters Verizon 4s.

9. barnz008 macrumors newbie

WiFi right next to the router...
    Ping - 16
    Down - 9.2
    Up - 3.55

3G
    Ping - 129
    Down - 1.47
    Up - .68

Verizon, Minnesota.

10. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where do you get the idea that Verizon is suppose to be faster than AT&T? All the posts and reviews I have seen show AT&T is much faster than Verizon for data. And looking at posts on here, doesn't look like Verizon is much faster than Sprint.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Why wouldn't you both be on the same network?

12. derickdub macrumors 6502

It is a fact that under most circumstances AT&T's 3G network is faster than Verizon's. It is a limit based on the capability of the network, and has nothing to do with location.

Also, I do not live in PA, and my 4S on AT&T using HSPA+ is three times faster than Verizon's CDMA network at it's best. And is still significantly faster than Verizon's network on just standard HSPA.

13. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

From our location ATT&T is quite a bit faster when testing Verizon vs AT&T iPhone 4S (both at the same time and location). I forget the exact numbers we saw but AT&T was getting close to 3 mb down / 1.5 mb up, while the Verizon iPhone 4S was only getting .7 mb down / .5 mb up.

Now when testing a Verizon 4G LTE phone, it completely blew both of them away with close to 30 down / 15 up!

14. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Here in So. Cal. I get these speeds.

Ping: 192
    Download: 2.04
    Upload: 1.01

15. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Do a search on speed tests. AT&T is faster on 3g network and Verizon's LTE is way faster than AT&T's 4g. There are a few tests out there relecting similar results.

I've been doing my home work on picking from the 3 flavors of iPad. :D

16. vivaHtml5 macrumors newbie