Bangladeshi Girl, 14, Dies After 100 Lashings.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Feb 4, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

More @ Source

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Countdown to conflation of this horrific story with Christianity/United States in T-minus 5-4-3-2...

3. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

That's just sad, I'm taking a intro to Islam course even though I'm christian and we actually covered this section of the Qur'an a few days ago. It pretty much says "if whoever says 4 times the person committed adultery the person can get a 100 lashes, but you don't have too." It also goes further and is like, "if they deny it 4 times it's basically canceled out and nothing happens."

4. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Something horrible happened in the world?

People inflicted suffering and death upon other people?

OMG. Stop the presses. This is news.

Oh, wait... it's Muslims inflicted suffering and death upon other people.

OMG! Stop the presses!! This is news!!!

6. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Here you can read about the justice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudud
    And FWIW, it's not even founded in the Qur-an.

Judaism isn't better - women would get stoned to death for adultery (e.g. being raped)

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm pretty sure that if a girl were beaten to death in ant country it would be newsworthy. It's even more newsworthy because fatwa was recently banned in the country. Not doing too much good is it?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A quick look through google reveals a number of girls who've been beaten to death recently... often by their own mothers. Yet it takes a Muslim girl's death to rate a thread. It leads me to wonder about your motives in highlighting this particular death.

What are you hoping to accomplish? What debate are you hoping to stir?

9. Queso macrumors G4

Do you really only see this awful and disgusting event as a way to feel superior? This is barbaric. It would be barbaric wherever it was carried out.

None of us are excused for the failings of our own societies because some poor sod is born into one that's worse. We are all wrong to some extent, but this really is revolting. No human being should have to suffer this, let alone die from it.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

How often are the atrocities in Africa being reported? Women are raped/beaten/slain every day. One thing that occurs in certain areas is called 'necklacing', and this is done to women. It is when a tire, filled with some type of flammable substance, is forced around the victims body, and is then set ablaze. Usually, the victims are tortured beforehand. The tire prevents them from moving and also helps prevent them from dying from smoke inhalation (carbon monoxide poisoning), which is far less painful than having your extremities slowly burned off. The person burns to death slowly, sometimes taking as much as an hour to die from severe burns/shock. This was common in the early 90s and has recently become common again. This has been done to very young girls on numerous occasions.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People seem to think that every Muslim must immediately denounce injustices committed by other Muslims.

As I pointed out with my links, there were two recent news stories where mothers beat their own children to death. Should every mother be required to publicly denounce these acts? If every mother doesn't publicly announce their condemnation of these acts does this mean they are complicit in them and help to allow acts like these to continue?

Should all men publicly denounce every rape that occurs or by their silence in denouncing every incidence of rape mean they are complicit in them and help to allow acts like these to continue?

Why do people want to hold Muslims to standards that nobody else in the world is expected to meet?

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Do you really want to hear the real answer? It's quite disturbing and most people won't admit this despite there being truth to it.

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So your beating is a worse beating than the ones I linked to?

It's unbelievable how relative some people's morality is.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

These aren't the same crime. This beating was witnessed by tens of people who did absolutely nothing to stop it.
    My purpose in posting it was to wonder how people could do something like this and not try to stop it.
    What sort of religious zeal could cause this. Things like this are The reason why I hate childhood indoctrination.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Like most crimes that happen in almost any area, like cities? Should we go about posting all the videos of people getting beat while onlookers just walk away? Theres tons.

These rationalizations are really weak....

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_behavior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_Study

It is scary to see how many people will do evil when they feel that their level of accountability for the individual event is low to nonexistent. Furthermore, it is scarier to see how many people obey authority and not consider the moral/ethical implications whatsoever.

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You got me, citizenzen. If anyone anywhere has been beaten, it is can only be chalked up to relative morality that a spotlight is cast on one instance. Nevermind:

• the number of people involved
    • whether it is by order of a town leader
    • whether the punishment for a consensual sexual relationship or rape victim
    • whether the mechanism of punishment is cruel and unusual
    No. To point out such is nothing but relative morality.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

19. MacHamster68, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hmm what has it to do with islam/ judaism /christianity ?

just because someone declares it as done in behalf of god or some other creature like communism or democracy
    has never made it right and never will make it right it is just murder if a child or any human dies and cannot be justified

20. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Doing nothing is hardly as bad as this:

21. 184550 Guest

'My crime is 'better' than your crime.'?

That's your response?

Pathetic.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If someone is killed I'm not really sure how I'd classify one way as worse than the other....

23. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Then let's stop putting a spotlight on the murder of anyone.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why? the more we show how wrong it is, make sure those who do these things are punished harshly and people see that punishment, then maybe it will stop. If people think they can still get away this type of crap, they will be more willing to do it.

25. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm not sure that I can justify it rationally, but I feel that there is just something intrinsically more evil about a group of people dragging a screaming child to her eventual death than just a man beating a child alone. In the latter circumstance the perpetrator is usually ostracized from society as a heathen. I'd bet that this won't happen to the man who issued the fatwa.