Bank of america Ceo to pocket in 53 Million Retirment Payday

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Oct 1, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

With all the anger of failing Company's and big name CEO's geting big pay bonuses. BOA announced that there top CEO will retire to 53 Million. This is a outrage after a Stock that Failed horrible over the last year I really hope the WH work on a plan after they pass healthcare and fix these outragous CEO bonuses.
    http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/01/news/newsmakers/lewis.payout.fortune/index.htm

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

September 21, 2009

"Bank of America has received a total of $45 billion from the Treasury's $700 billion financial bailout pot, which is financed by taxpayers.

The company says it wants to repay $20 billion of that money, which would remove the company from a list of firms that have received "exceptional" assistance from the government.

Such companies are subject to greater government scrutiny, including having to provide plans outlining compensation packages for their highest-paid employees. The Obama administration's pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg, has the power to veto them."

Government interference has allowed this CEO to get a 56 million dollar retirement. **** that ****.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He's not getting $53 million/year is he? Thats the total size of the pot right?

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Doesn't a CEO deserve such a high pay packet for working such a stressful job? He's obviously worked extremely hard. In general in america your pay is proportional to how hard you work and how scarce you are isn't it?

And after all the financial crisis wasn't the fault of the CEO's. Why should they have to pay with their own hard earned money because of something that the liberal government did? Desertrat has explained it all before;

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This admittedly dumb question is an honest one - Did the government not place strings upon the bailout money? I cannot believe this is acceptable at all.

I've got mixed feelings but I'm not really against the bailouts considering the bigger picture of what would happen without them, but to think of the money being used like this?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always nice to be the last in line for the gold rolex retirement watch you were awarded 8 years ago for signing on the dotted line.

Just wondering if he will get it as the annuity or a lump sum, likely a lump sum.

---

If the government is going to sue him for recovery of his bonuses, they could likely place a hold on the money ... but since this was earned way before any of the bonus scandals ... it places them in the position of violating an employment contract.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, Uncurious George did not think to place these kinds of restrictions on the banks (just like his no bid contracts to Halliburton), but I think we should demand repayment of all our money from BOA right now.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My boss works so extremely hard that he almost had a nervous breakdown in front of us yesterday. I want $53m for him too.

Oh, please!! This is not Rush Limbaugh's audience you are talking to here.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You clearly miss the point, government backup does not belong in the private sector. If this were any other company (namely one that shouldn't be out on it's ass if not for uncle Sam) I would support this retirement fund completely. Your attempt to distort my words has crashed in failure once again

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No I realise this is your POV you've made it very clear. But you missed my point. Why should the private sector CEOs be punished financially personally for something that as desertrat points out was completely the fault of the liberal government? It doesn't seem very libertarian to punish them for something that wasn't their fault.

I thought you might. $53 million dollars isn't obscene is it? A good reflection of how hard the CEO worked in school and his job compared to people who are just nurses. And police. And military.

I'm confused. I thought you just said you agree with my synopsis :confused:? That your words are true that this CEO deserves $53 million?

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think a number of us are still waiting to hear how this was so. Will everything be laid at the feet of the Community Reinvestment Act, with that shining star of the conservative movement, deregulation, having nothing to do with it?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is there any doubt that that is the truth of the matter? :p

13. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

First of all, a payout like that will make a high portion of it get taxed in America’s progressive tax system…which clearly “disadvantages” the higher income earners…especially THAT high!

Second, if that dude was promised that as part of a previous deal, then it’s his right to get it. I personally don’t think government should poke their businesses all that much in the private sector anyway.

When a leader has advanced to the point where they are deemed by the boards that they are worth some huge amount of money, they will sort of like “bid” for the worker that way. That’s how it works. Supply and demand. Of course it’s not always about the money, but if you were offered more money to jump jobs, would you take it? If you are really desirable maybe someone will offer you 53 million dollars in your next job…so what?

And I don’t see how this is better for the “government” if it was distributed evenly across all workers anyway. Clearly, regarding the first point I made, the government would collect less overall tax from all the peons. And what is this retired CEO gonna do with his money? Maybe he’ll have a big house or 2 and a fancy car, but that’s not 53 million dollars. He’s going to invest most of it and that actually goes back into the system and creates jobs and innovation.

14. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

The “stressfulness” of the job has little to do with it. It can be…but not always. If you are passionate about a job, it is less stressful and you will likely be even better at it. And you might get paid high for it even though it’s a walk in the park for you.

In America you do NOT get paid proportional to how “hard” you work. You get paid for the “results” you output….or theoretically should output.
    Your scarcity does affect your pay however, as long as your skills are in demand. If you do hard manual labor, you will likely be real tired at the end of the day and even wear your body out for your life. But you might not get paid that much compared to an educated “chair worker” because many other people can do your job. That's just an example to illustrate a point and not necessarily a rule, of course.

15. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Bah. BofA...

Also known as the Bank of Fees...

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uh huh- because that's what happened the last 8 years when the top wage earners got huge tax breaks? Right. Keep hanging on to that myth. It's my favorite line of bull from the right.

What will he most likely do? Send tons of it off shore into tax shelters.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't understand why CEO's get paid so much. The, well they worked hard for it argument doesn't wash. The guy on the low end of the stick is working harder and getting paid ****, those are the people that deserve the raises not the CEO that probably hasn't done any hard work in years.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not a question of how hard they work as much as the amount of damage they can do. Each one of their strategic decisions can float or sink their company.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So why do they pay them after they sink the company? How many employees could keep their job if the CEO wasn't over paid. They lay of people saying well we don't have the money, so don't over pay the CEO.

20. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

The fact is, the board of the company feels that a CEO is worth more than the several hundred employees they could pay otherwise.

CEOs don't just work hard, they are extremely capable. Don't think for a second that you could just walk in and do their job. Sure, sometimes the company fails under their watch, but sometimes the QB throws 3 interceptions in a row. Doesn't mean you can walk on to the NFL team and do his job better than he can.

21. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Well he will still pay taxes when he earns the $53 million. Which amounts to approximately $18,520,362 in taxes using the married filing jointly 2009 tax table. Will he pay all of that on the $53 million? No, because $53 million isn't his AGI, but taking into account his other income and his deductions he'll probably end up paying more than $18 million in taxes. If I were him I'd probably purchase citizenship in some nation where there tax system defines income less broadly, renounce my U.S. citizenship, and then I'd move to the Caymans. I definitely wouldn't put up with this tax system throughout my retirement if I were worth more than $5-$10 million or so.

This doesn't really bother me. He's worked at the bank in upper level positions for over 40 years, the last one year shouldn't taint the retirement package he's been expecting (and in fact was awarded prior to the downturn and bailout). It easily could have been written into his contract as well; are you going to breach a contract with someone who has enough money to easily cost your more than his retirement compensation in legal fees? I don't think so.

22. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

at least we peasants get to hate him unabashedly. I hope he gets cancer :p

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just to make things clear my posts don't reflect what I believe whatsoever. I was merely asking questions of Zombie Acorn who had made the claims about pay and hard work and qualifications on a previous occasion (see quote in my initial post in this thread). And also see my quote where Desertrat made the claim that the current financial crisis was completely at the feet of the "liberal government". I was more interested in how the libertarian grappled with these previous comments in light of the revulsion that the CEO was getting this indefensible pay out.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm not defending this CEO or his payoff, simply giving the market's answer to your general question. In my opinion, no CEO is worth more than $20m, and that is in a good year.

25. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

NOBODY is "worth" more than 20 million period. those that think they are, are the most worthless. REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!