Bannon Is Out?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac 128, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The only thing I find interesting about the Bannon saga is watching the press scramble to reframe the narrative they'd put so much effort into.

The narrative that Bannon was the true man in power, nationalist, puppet master, and apex machiavellian. With also all the Alt-Right nonsense they keep babbling about.

Now all that fake news spin that was hyped up for months has no where to go. I've read a few pieces struggling to keep alt-right is the real power fable going, and it's really pathetic.

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Bannon is Trump's Ernst Röhm but Trump doesn't have to literally kill him off. We are a little more civilized now. A little.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

The present and future do not negate the past.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

From what I have read, it seems that Mr Trump's children may have played some sort of a role on this; they view his political stances as a threat to the future prosperity for their business interests.

Now, of course, it ought to go without saying that Mr Trump's adult children should have no role whatsoever in how his government is run, and neither should the wellbeing of his businesses interests & empire be a matter of concern to him, or something which should trouble him, or influence him, in arriving at decisions of public policy.

After all, the public good - and not the private good - is what is supposed to inform your judgement and policy initiatives while you are in office.

Besides, the person who helps win you the election may not be the person you need by your side as your consigliere when you are in government.

However, re Mr Bannon, it might be argued that the prominent role the media argued he played in the early days of the administration did not help him as the thin-skinned narcissist the works for dislikes sharing the limelight with others. More to the point, the recent debacles of the failure to repeal Obamacare, and the botched attempt - sorry attempts - to come up with a dramatic policy on refugees, migration and immigration, cannot have helped Mr Bannon much either, given that he (and by extension, the President) are now associated with incompetence and the botched execution of unjust policies.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Next you are going to tell me that Trump and Putin didn't have the love relation that the left wing media pointed to.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Who is the "you" as addressed in your post?

Anyway, I never thought that Mr Putin and Mr Trump had "a love relation" of any description.

Firstly, because I doubt that Mr Trump is capable of loving anyone other than himself, and secondly, because Mr Putin would not view this in terms of a relationship driven and informed by ties of mutual respect and affection, but rather, as something which might have proven to have been mutually advantageous for both parties to the arrangement.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Trump has been flipflopping over so many issues recently, no wonder his marriage with Vlad has gone sour :p

The real story has been that Trump was influenced (knowingly or not) by russian agents during the campaign, a job that now seems to in the hand of the neocon hawks.

9. niploteksi macrumors regular

Maybe because unlike Trump, Bannon actually has an agenda other than just saying random things.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Trump operates as if real life is some kind of beauty pageant reality show contest, where everyone has to always be competing for his attention, every week there are different winners and losers, and every week there is a surprise twist.

Problem is this sort of leadership has left Trump with no loyalty around him. Why would anyone be loyal to Trump, when they know they might be demoted within a week or loudly blamed for whatever goes wrong?

Instead, everyone around Trump tries to use their 15 minutes of attention to accomplish whatever crazy thing they want regardless of consequence; knowing that time is short.

So Trump is left with a constantly changing collection of yes-men, a cabinet that has more leaks that the Niagara Falls, and absolutely no long-term loyalty from anyone.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Not quite. I don't see Tillerson, Mattis, Mnuchin, Carson, or Sessions acting as yes men or begging for Trumps attention.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

If you don't see it then you haven't been watching. Trump says jump, they don't even ask how high and instead just go do whatever is worst for Americans.

13. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Really? I do.

14. Technarchy, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Examples?

Mind you, you're just validating my point. Every dim neoliberal pundit and blogger wanted a Bannon shadow government leading Trump by the nose to write about.

Now that's crumbled and the new story is Trump is in charge and surrounded by yes men.

Real story is Bannon occupied an unofficial, unconfirmed position as a favor for being a team player during the election, and he wore out his welcome, probably because he is ideologically motivated and Trump isn't.

Bannon was Trump's Thomas Cromwell and overplayed his hand. That's probably the most likely scenario.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Nobody not wearing a MAGA hat seriously thinks Trump is charge of anything, except being the ring-leader of his reality tv show circus.

Last week, Bannon got the rose. This week, Jivanka received the rose. Tune in next week to see who gets the rose.

16. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I think you missed the part where Trump himself shows that he will listen to whatever crackpot idea he is pitched. Having an alt right guy having his audience, especially when Trump has proven to be foolishly gullible, is dangerous. This is one area where the media has been spot on.

Want proof? Did you forget Trump's greatest hits so far? Who knew healthcare was so complicated? Who knew China and North Korea had a long and complicated relationship? No president is expected to be an expert in all matters. That's what advisors are for. And guess who had Trump's ear for too long?

17. niploteksi, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

niploteksi macrumors regular

I bet Bannon knows what a nuclear triad is. Presidents don't need to be experts in all matters :)