Bannon removed from National Security Council

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 5, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Trump and Pence?

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I can see Trump, but not Pence.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think as a practice to show the public, Trump put in "people" to make it look like a large team project ala Bush or Obama or Bill Clinton, but the many left wing conspiracy theorists of 2016 had it right when they said he would run it like Trump Inc if he got in.

Trump Inc?

Trump, Ivanka, and Jared.

The part of making America great again with an overseer was given to Jared who simply follows orders. It was announced last month but probably envisioned last year.

The orders to make America again are from Trump and the only person brave enough to counter him, Ivanka.

She is taking a role similar to First Lady, Secretary of State, and Chief of Staff rolled into one. This is clearly not what the founding fathers envisioned! I don't even think this is legal.

As much as I don't like Bannon, Tillerson, or Priebus, we still need non-family members. It's a government, not a family diner.

7. tgara, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

This is no big deal. It was likely in the works from the beginning as part of a transition of the NSC back to it's previous status. Overall, it's a good thing IMHO.

Apparently McMaster had the power to ask the president to ask Bannon to leave, and since Bannon's work was done, McMaster did with the President's approval.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I applaud the removal of Bannon from his position on the NSC. But of course, it begs the question as to why he was ever appointed to it in the first place.

In my opinion, it was an example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect in this Administration. Donald Trump simply had no idea what the National Security Council does, so he thought it would be a good idea to pack it with people whose ideas he liked. Whatever political insight Steve Bannon might have had, simply had no place at the table with the top leadership of our Intelligence, Military, Diplomatic, and Legal communities.

Good for Nat. Sec. Advisor Gen. McMaster for demanding the removal of Bannon, and for restoring the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to their proper places in the NSC. And I am absolutely positive it was McMaster who made this happen, not some internecine squabble within the extended Trump family.

As Donald Trump is finding out with Syria, as he found out with health insurance, and no doubt he will find out on innumerable other issues - the world is a very much more complicated place than he imagined. There are no quick, easy, and simple solutions to the problems that face our country and our world.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I am starting to think they do this just to put Spicer in trouble ... these announcements are always an hour before the briefing ;)

10. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

One can hope that when he makes mistakes he heeds the wisdom of the actual advisors who know what they're talking about and takes that advice. Sometimes you don't realize they actually know what they're talking about. Sometimes they don't know what they're talking about too.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Seth Meyers had a great quote the other night. I'm paraphrasing... Spicer's whole life must be like that moment your wife/girlfriend picks up your phone and asks "Who's Lisa?"

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

(Emphasis mine.)

Well, that's the problem I see with Trump. I don't think he has the sort of judgment and temperament to do the right thing in those instances.

There are plenty of examples in US history when Presidents had to go against the advice of their military and intelligence advisors. And some instances when Presidents took bad advice.

John F. Kennedy screwed up very early in his administration by going along with the Bay of Pigs attack on Cuba. His military and intelligence people recommended it. But he should have seen the bigger picture of how damaging it would be. Contrarily, Barack Obama made several changes to the plan to take out Osama bin Laden: He recognized that a drone or missile strike, while less risky to personnel, could not establish with certainty that they had eliminated bin Laden. But once he authorized the attack, he again went against the initial plan put together by his advisors, who had suggested a relatively small operation. Obama insisted that if a team was going to be sent into Pakistan, that it have enough firepower to fight its way out of trouble if things went badly. That's the sort of "big thinking" on the part of a civilian President that can keep our military and intelligence services (which have their own flaws and internal biases) from getting themselves into trouble.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

See Trunp does like SNL. Why else would he help them out. :D

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Well, according to the WSJ, it was to make sure Flynn was restructuring the NSC as Trump wanted.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Ahahahha I actually laughed out loud like an idiot

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The whole thing is funny - but the quote comes at: 6:40

17. Nefilim Suspended

As sad as it is, evidently it's working for a certain kind of people.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Bannon probably overplayed his hand behind the scenes. And Trump is getting his true advisors in place. His family. It's pretty clear those are the only people he really trusts and listens too.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Today's a good day. Bannon removed from where he didn't belong, changing administration views on Syria...I'm happy. For today at least, this administration is behaving like a normal one.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, according to the New York Times:

Oh, I'll sleep easy tonight, knowing that the Donald Trump White House is overseeing the national security of our nation by cutting and pasting it together.

How lazy, careless, and stupid do these people have to be?

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

YAY!!!

Am I seeing Trump starting to understand what being POTUS is???
    Saw a little of the King Abuddula PC, and Trump's presidential side was showing.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Makes you wonder what the trump team was doing during the transition.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Give him some slack...who knew it was this complicated? :D

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I hope you don't see that as a good thing....