Barack and Michelle Obama's official portraits unveiled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Feb 13, 2018.

1. zin macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Wow, it looks atrociously out of place for a presidential portrait. Michelle's portrait doesn't even look like her.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Both Obama and Michelle chose the artists they wanted. The artists' stories are very interesting and both portraits are true to their (the artists) other works.

Why do you feel these paintings are atrociously out of place?

3. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

4. arkitect, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

So you'd prefer the boringly obvious? The paint by numbers of George W Bush' portrait? That seriously awkward one of Bill Clinton?

If you want a photo likeness, go google a thousand photos of either of them.

The Kehinde Wiley portrait is a great piece. I am not so sure about the Amy Sherald… it is less successful.

Edit:
    Re the Amy Sherald portrait, The NY Times sums it up for me.
    "The shape of the dress, rising pyramidally upward, mountain-like, feels as if it were the real subject of the portrait. Mrs. Obama’s face forms the composition’s peak, but could be almost anyone’s face, like a model’s face in a fashion spread. To be honest, I was anticipating — hoping for — a bolder, more incisive image of the strong-voiced person I imagine this former first lady to be."
    (My bold)

5. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

A portrait intended for presidential exhibition should not be anything but 'boringly obvious' and, in the case of Michelle Obama, should have a compelling likeness.

These just look tacky. What's up with the bush? Is it meant to signify that he continued Bush's policies?

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Very different. I'll grant you that. But you used the word atrocious which has a very negative connotation. I take it you don't like the portrait? Do you feel it's inappropriate? Should a President adhere to the same construct as those that came before them?

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Indeed and the audience response said it all.

8. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I have to state the obvious here. You are concerned about the portrait of one of America’s greatest and most respected Presidents looking “tacky” and claim that “boringly obvious” should be the standard.

Have you seen our latest President?

It’s a portrait. It’s different. You may have noticed, there are other things about President Obama that are different from the previous Presidents. You just expect white culture to dominate his painting. Well, he isn’t white. Why can’t he have a portrait that he feels best represents him as President? Why does it have to confirm to the status quo?

I am far more concerned about the portrait of our country now being painted by Trump. It’s not looking good.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

its a new age, about time these portraits get spruced up a little. Hopefully this will spark a change in the norm and going forward the portraits will be a little more lively and wont look like they were done in the 15th century.

11. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I think the Obama portrait is great (although I wish he had been pictured in the tan suit). Those complaining about it are, by and large, people who dislike the guy to begin with. It's not like their opinions of him would change with a more traditional portrait.

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

New republic syas

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

It's apparently a botanical/floral theme he maintains.

A couple of his earlier works:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Is it true that Kehinde Wiley’s paintings include those of black people holding the severed heads of white people?

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don’t mind the new age style, I don’t think it’s wrong to have the style represent the time period.

Obama’s affect is well captured, but I’m not sure what’s going on with the perspective- is he being sucked into a bush? Where is the ground?

Michelle’s I actually really like, but the face is entirely wrong. It looks nothing like her.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Context matters. And you know the answer because it's on google. Easily searchable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Judith

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It wasn’t coming up on any websites I felt like quoting. What is the context of Wiley’s paintings?

18. samcraig macrumors P6

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Looks odd to me, kind of like he’s suspended in that bush like a Christmas ornament or something.

Then again, I don’t quite get most art. If he likes it then great.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I realize to you guys Barrack Obama is beyond reproach, but surely you can understand that even with that supposed context choosing this artist might be a bit controversial. Or maybe that was the point given the odd style choice for a presidential portrait. Can you imagine if Donald Trump chose a painter who decides to put his touch on a historical painting by changing it to a white guy holding a severed black guy’s head? If this was anyone but Obama I think you could see the problem.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Obama is not beyond reproach by anyone here. I don't necc believe in this extreme view (link) - but your opinion was out there on social media and this was one of the replies. https://thedailybanter.com/2018/02/kehinde-wiley-not-so-racist-paintings/

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed. Not the best choice IMO.