Barack Obama plans quick transfer of Guantanamo Bay suspects to US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Nov 10, 2008.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

OH - BA - MA!

OH - BA - MA!

OH - BA - MA!

*Clears throat and regains Britishness...*

Sounds good, it's about time America starts acting like a grown up nation again.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm really happy already with Obama. Hope he keeps this up!

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah... Obama's victory kind of feels like this.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Considering how this is a shameful mark on American's history, it should be one of the first things to go.

Let's hope sending people to get tortured in other countries follows suit.

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

There is going to be times where we look at him and think 'eek - I wouldn't have done that' or 'he hasn't changed that' but we need to put these things into perspective when they happen.

With that said... so am I.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Brilliant news. This will do more to fight the "War on Terror" than anything Bush/Cheney have done since this camp was set up. The US can start rebuilding the bridges that have been destroyed over the past eight years and genuinely win hearts and minds instead of chasing people into the arms of extremists.

Starting to look like the history of the USA between 2000 and 2016 will be summed up by the phrase Shock and Awe. Quite ironic really :D

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I hope he's got a plan for dealing with the detainees who aren't going to be charged but can't be sent home.

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think that will be one of the biggest challenges. Do we let China have them cause it thinks they are guilty for example?

If they are innocent and just got caught up because of $$ bounties, do we allow them to stay in the US if communities offer to help them integrate?

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Why couldn't they be sent home?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Because some of their former home countries won't allow them to return.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There could be personal safety issues if some of them are sent home. There could be situations where their lives could be in jeopardy.

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

The article says that their home country does not want them back. But this is what confuses me. If they are proven innocent, why doesnt the country have them back? :confused:

EDIT: Nvm, the poster above me answered it I guess.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not "our" problem.

Give them a chute, and bombs-away.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's a difference between proven innocent and not charged with anything. If for example a prisoner is in Guantanamo because he fought with the Taliban in Afghanistan, the Afghan government is probably not going to permit their readmission to the country after their release. I expect the same would be true of Saudi nationals. This could be a sticky problem.

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The United States should have a form of protected witness program only for the innocent people held there. Give them a place to live without fear,money for the rest of their lives but make sure they don't go all ballistic..

Maybe a large area that is secure and they have freedom inside that area. ?

I don't know. It's a tough call.

If I were innocent and held there for 8 years. Tortured and raped. Man I'd be insane.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Friendly third-party states can be found. For example, if Saudi Arabia won't allow a national back, African Muslim states such as Mauritania, Djibouti or Morocco might.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

While that might see viable, the cultures and languages are so different that this might not work.

Can you imagine an Uighur in Morocco?

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Might" being the operative word. This is why I'm hoping this has been thought completely through. The closing of Guantanamo needs to be handled cleanly. You can bet some can't wait to hand Obama his first political embarrassment.

21. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Excellent idea. But we'd need a name for it.

Hmm....

How about Ghetto?

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Please don't quote me out of context. I ended my post with an "I don't know". I was merely throwing up ideas. Stupid as they may be.

A lot of these people,although innocent must have some severe mental problems due to the abuse they have endured.

I feel sorry for them.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- can you imagine? It's almost unthinkable. :(

24. Queso macrumors G4

Some will of course hate it. Take that as a given.

However, there will also be those falling over themselves to declare themselves aligned with the "new, improved and enlightened USA v2.0". The existence of Guantanamo has turned a lot of governments away from showing support of anything the US has been doing for fear of how their people will react. Having a new President in the White House immediately closing the camps gives these governments the perfect opportunity to show support without risking general strikes and protesting mobs storming parliament.

Of course, there could also be generous aid packages available for those willing to help. That always goes a long way in opening doors.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't have to convince me that Guantanamo must be closed, sooner rather than later. What I am saying is that the closure must be done in such a way that we don't end up with a bunch of stateless former militants living in the US (presumably at taxpayer's expense) because nobody else will take them. If that happens, you can pretty much cancel out any domestic political benefit Obama might get for following through promptly on a campaign promise. Right away, he gets his feet stuck in the political mud. OTOH, if the result is quick and tidy, the critics will be disarmed, and we move on.