Barbara Bush Has Died

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Barbara Bush has passed away.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lady-barbara-bush-dies-age-92/story?id=54490037

"Former first lady Barbara Bush died Tuesday at her home in Houston, Texas. She was 92.

"A former first lady of the United States of America and relentless proponent of family literacy, Barbara Pierce Bush passed away Tuesday, April 17, 2018, at the age of 92," reads a statement from the office of former President George H.W. Bush.

Bush passed away shortly after deciding to forgo further medical treatments for her failing health.

Having been hospitalized numerous times while battling congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, she decided Sunday that she wanted to be "surrounded by a family she adores," according to an earlier statement released by Mr. Bush's office.

"It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself -- thanks to her abiding faith -- but for others," the statement continued. "She is surrounded by a family she adores and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving."

In January 2017, Mrs. Bush and her husband were hospitalized at the same time. She was being treated for bronchitis and the nation's 41st president was being treated for pneumonia.

Barbara Bush served as the country's first lady from 1989 to 1993. She is the mother of George W. Bush, the 43rd president of the United States."

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

She and George were married 73 years which is beyond cool. Long marriage a squad of kids and and First Lady

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

He was her first kiss.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

RIP, she was a hell of a lady. You wonder how long George is going to hang on for now that's she's gone.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Barbara Bush, wife of President George H.W. Bush, dies at 92.

My condolences.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Good point. It probably won't be long before he passes.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Hopefully long enough to see another president with his character.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Unfortunately, CBS prematurely announced her death 2 days ago, with the story on their website for 17 minutes. This time they mean it.

Mrs. Bush had multiple health problems, including congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and Graves' disease, but refused further treatment.

9. 0007776 Suspended

Hopefully, but we haven’t had a Republican that was anywhere close to as good as him since he left office.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That makes 4, so the trifecta has now been reset, so now I wonder who will be the next 2..

I mean, in the past 3 days we've had:
    • the guy from Full Metal Jacket,
    • Judge Stone from Night Court,
    • Carl Kassell, and
    • Barbara Bush.
    As they normally come in 3s, Bush is now the first of the next set... :(

BL.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Because they’ve had no character formed by hard times or personal peril, they’ve not been men.

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

--some washed up real estate hack

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Does director milos Forman count?

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Don't see why not.. I just want those that we have grown up with to not die.. I mean, some of the greatest people and performers are leaving us way too bloody soon.

BL.

15. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

God Bless.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2018 ---
    That's AWFUL to say! This man is a former President of the United States! Show him some God damn respect!
    Hey Buddy, the former First lady of the United States passed away today, and all you can do is bring up politics and take more jabs at recent Presidents? Please show respect to the people who run/ran your beautiful Nation.

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Whoa... I took the remark to which you object as an acknowledgment of how close that marriage was. It's not uncommon for a 90+ year old partner to be affected so profoundly by the loss of their "other half" that they don't linger long after. I don't think it was a disrespectful remark at all, more like acknowledging Barbara Bush meant enough to her husband, and vice versa, that no matter which of them went first it would have been a terrible strain on the resources of the one left behind.

17. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Every comment will be perceived differently, it's all up to the eye of the beholder. You apparently view things in a more positive light than I do.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I took that poster's comment in the context of things he had already posted in this thread, that's all. Those posts were respectful and acknowledging of the couple's deep relationship...

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He is. He is respecting how long their marriage has been, as well as recognizing the fact that someone who has had a lifelong partner for this long could easily succumb to Broken Heart Syndrome. Yes, that is an actual medical condition:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/broken-heart-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20354617

Perfect example of this is the length of time between June Carter Cash dying and Johnny Cash dying. He's concerned about this happening to GHWB.

Perhaps how about not jumping to conclusions about what someone is talking about, and perhaps you'd get a much better response than your perception of him showing some sort of lack of respect, which he is not doing.

BL.

20. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Barbara Bush was the matriarch of a family that achieved greatness.

She has left a legacy that will endure ages.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm struck by the warmth of the tributes to her from those who knew her.

And I am also struck by the length and evident warmth of the relationship between herself and George HW Bush. He will be devastated as will the rest of their family; she was an impressive lady.

23. VulchR, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

While I didn't agree with their politics, I thought the George was one of the most effective Presidents we've had and Barbara did an outstanding job all around. It's sad that Barbara is now gone, and I cannot imagine how George feels. I wish their family well as they try to cope with this tremendous loss.

I also have to admit that I am nostalgic for the time when our leaders had dignity and gravitas of George and Barbara, and you more or less trusted them not matter what their political affiliation.

24. Snoopy4, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It always bothered me that Ross Perot cut his time in office short.

Barbara will be missed. RIP Grey Fox.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---
    I thought the same. My grandparents both passed about six months apart after 75 years together. It happens with soul mates. They met on a bus just before WWII on their way to their first duty station and married two weeks later. Long lives both of them.

25. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

A great First Lady, and probably was the last First Lady where the political divide in this country wasn't full of such bias and vitriol. Pretty much everyone loved Barbara Bush.