Barcelona Vs Charlottesville headlines

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by whoknows87, Aug 17, 2017.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

- Van hits crowd in Barcelona in an apparent terror attack

-Charlottesville rally turns deadly after a car strikes crowd

I have not seeing one headline describing the Charlottesville as an act of terror carried by a White supremacist Neo-Nazi

same instrument, same tactics and one was actually armed yelling Jews will not replace us, blood and soil
    yet some incidents get the ' Terror label' while others get ignored

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

From early reporting it appears that the Barcelona incident had the driver shooting a weapon, not really any room for interpretation if that's the case.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Just to offer a theory here: The Charlottesville incident occurred in the midst of violent street clashes. It was treated as an extension of the violence. The Barcelona attack occurred out of nowhere, like a "typical" terrorist attack. Note how attacks like this in the midst of war in Iraq and Syria don't get much attention either.

I'm not saying Charlottesville was not terrorism, it was. But the difference in the surrounding events may have made the labels more clear, at least in the initial outbreak of the attacks. But after the fact, there's no excuse for not labeling what happened in Charlottesville terrorism.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

If you are mowing people down in a car/van what difference does it make if you have a gun or not? If you are targeting people with the intention of committing murder and carnage, you're a terrorist. The idiot in the car last weekend was a terrorist yet it's funny how some wanted to wait and see what the motive was before a label was applied. If the act is committed in Europe then it's different rules it seems, especially if the perpetrator is brown.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Running someone over "can" be an accident, shooting someone in the face.. not so likely.

6. rockrigo macrumors regular

Don't go hunting with Dick Cheney then

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Was the protest that lead to cops getting shot in Dallas a terrorist incident?

8. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

And the Charlottesville car driver used his dodge as a weapon just like this Barcelona guy. Are you saying one is a terrorist attack while the other is not? if so what was the Charlottesville incident? A car accident?

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I quite agree but even shooting somebody in the face is treated differently depending on skin colour and religion by the press. Terrorist or mental problems are often the labels depending on what agenda it needs to suit.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Intent not means is what defines terrorism when you bring the means into the discussion you derail the entire discussion.

11. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It amazes me that this has to even be explained.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2017 ---
    That was bravery, punching up, not down!!!

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Charlottesville will be Manslaughter with committing a hate crime crime attached.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Having brake failure or a medical emergency behind the wheel is an accident. Gunning down protesters is not.

14. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Definition:the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

So that applies to Barcelona, but not to Charlottesville? Jews will not replace us, blood and soil? a large gathering of Neo Nazis walking around with Tiki torches , riot gear and may I add weapons

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No it applies to both..

There will be people who are going to trot into the thread and start hammering out the means argument

16. samcraig macrumors P6

As I wrote in another thread, Trump tweeted, "The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!"

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Marvin agrees.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Glad that he didn't blame the people sitting on the sidewalk for being part of the problem.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Difference between terorrism and mass murder.

Driver in a van.
    Two groups of people with equal amount of people in front of him.

Terrorism: driver doesn't really care which group is hit as long as it spreads panic and its not own group. Location, time, and especially symbolic significance are generally very important
    Mass murder: driver checks which group is enemy (antifa etc) and acts accordingly. Location, time, and symbolic significance are not very important but number of victims and their uniform/group is.

20. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

What's so strange?

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Group on left all are wearing "ISIS" clothing. Group on right wearing regular cloths.

Terrorist would more than likely miss hitting ISIS and run into regular people.

Group on left wearing Swaztikas. Group on right wearing regular cloths.

Driver runs into group on right.

your turn.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

As I said, not own group.

24. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

A more similar comparison would be if a White supremacist mowed people down out of nowhere in a city known for being diverse or known for being liberal.

Again, I still maintain that the attack in Charlottesville was terror. But as far as labeling it right away, I think the above hypothetical would be labeled as "terror" right away, at least I really really hope so.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Every source I've seen has called both a terrorist attack. Seems right in both cases.