Barometer apps for the iPhone 6 showing up.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Oct 2, 2014.

1. richard371 macrumors 68020

I found a free one called baro and another called barometer that's .99. They are pretty simple apps and work well when I went up and down the elevator 22 floors. Shows 270 feet elevation change.

2. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Yawn. Who cares? What's the usefulness of knowing that you went up in elevator 270ft? If you're doing the stairs just for staying fit, you know you did 10 flights, what's the utility of knowing it's X feet?

You sound like someone promoting the app... Charging $0.99 is outrageous for an app which in essence is one line of code like label.text = barometer.pressure. ;)

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

You obviously don't know anything at all about programing if you think that any app could be "one line of code"

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

You must. You posted. And for you and us your post was a waste of time and pixels.

To the OP, thanks for the info.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I second this... really .99? it probably has ads also.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

What's the big deal with spending $1 ! It cost the app maker $100+ all the time to make it :rolleyes:

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Because it's a trivial app, it's literally one line of code that updates the label. (I'm a dev, so I know.) A total newbie in iOS development can write an app like this in munutes - download a sample app from Apple resources for devs (for example, accelerometer app), edit it to replace accel with barometer, voila - you have a barometer app.

These devs are simply exploiting the novelty of barometer in iOS world. Essentially, they're scalpers.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

You're obviously not a developer if you took my statement too literally. Of course, any app is more than a line of code. But for a trivial app like this, the project template provided by XCode will have 100% of things you need to build and run the app that simply displays a blank screen. Then you drop a label in your interface builder, get an instance of shared barometer (similar to getting accelerometer), start updates on it, and in the update event you add just this one line of code that sets the label to current pressure. Done.

There are many apps in the store that are merely Apple's sample code disguised under different UI, targeted at stupid unsuspecting consumers...

9. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68020

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How dare anyone make a post that doesn't cater to you. They should be banned!

11. btkadams macrumors regular

the elitism on this forum can be unreal at times. what a way to **** up the thread.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Because someone takes things exactly as you say them rather than assuming something else in no way means that they are or are not a developer. Don't get upset because you said something and got called out on it.

13. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

1. Paste code from here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25951443/collecting-relative-altitude-from-barometer-in-iphone-6 to your boilerplate template provided by Xcode. Set the label text to altitudeData.pressure value.
    2. Upload the app to app store and set the price to $0.99.
    3. ??? PROFIT

All in all, it'd take 5 mins tops, if you're already a registered dev. Voila, a barometer app. With an extra hour of work, you can set a fancy background in your app showing a sceumorphic barometr and draw a nice icon. BOOM!

----------

No actual developer would understand my statement about one line of code exactly as that. Any actual developer will instantly understand what I said, that the essence, the core of an "app" like this is one line of code, and that this is an app of the same level as any "hello world" app that is the first thing people usually learn when learning any language/environment.