Barometer of the Health Care Plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Dec 4, 2009.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

There are a lot of fights going on now about the Senate Health Care plan as side issues such as abortion, public plan, and squaring Senate language with House bill are addressed. But one good barometer of the Health Care plan will be presented today that will be a strong index of how serious your Washington representatives are about government health care - call it the Coburn/Vitter Amendment - making Congress subject to what they are proposing for the rest of us! And why not? If Democrats bury this Amendment it means they're not willing to accept what they are forcing on the rest of the nation.

Coburn, Vitter want to force Congress into public health plan
    By J. Taylor Rushing - 12/04/09 06:00 AM ET
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...e-members-of-congress-into-public-health-plan
    Two of the Senate’s most ardent opponents of a public health program, Sens. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and David Vitter (R-La.), are preparing an amendment to force members of Congress into any plan that is passed. As the Senate formally takes up the healthcare reform bill this month, Coburn and Vitter are drafting legislation that mimics a resolution Vitter unsuccessfully offered in August that would have required lawmakers to join any public option plan. The current amendment would go further — not only barring members of Congress from exempting themselves from a public plan, but actually forcing them into it. Vitter is also considering proposing banning physician services currently available to legislators at the Capitol as well as special privileges they are allowed at military hospitals. Specifically, members of Congress receive taxpayer-subsidized medical care at Bethesda Medical Center and the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't say I disagree with this. We might actually get a decent public plan then. Sounds like good news to me.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Well, seeing that nobody will be forced into an optional public health plan, this proposal seems a bit misguided.

But im curious to hear the debate...
    -----------
    Lee has a good point, if forced to enter the plan, BOTH sides will have their own best interest in mind.

This should force the right to actually implement real ideas that are helpful to the populace instead of just trying to screw up the Dems success...

Ironically backfiring on Coburn and Vitter and bringing good public health care to all :D

This should be interesting...

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Of course they would all have private health insurance as well as a possible public option,so I don't think anyone would lose any sleep over it.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It would also speak volumes should Congress give us a plan that they themselves wouldn't sign up for.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. I think it's a great idea.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

No more dictating of policies that they themselves (congress) don't want to adhere to and support.

Yes it would. Walk the talk. :)

8. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

While I agree with the though behind it, it also doesn't make some sense.

Why would the wealthy members of congress be forced to use a plan that
    1) no one else is being to use if they don't want
    2) is meant for poor to middle class people who can't afford anything else

I mean, the whole point of America is that if you can afford something better, you buy it, right?

So while I think this could be a good idea, don't judge the bill solely on the outcome of this vote. Listen to the arguments that are made against before passing judgment.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is why- they are the ones setting it up. If they wouldn't want to use it, why would anyone else? They are paid directly by us, and if they want paid for healthcare, this is what they should use. We should not be paying their health insurance policies.

Sort of like business- if you don't want your product, why would you think anyone else would?

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because they are legislating from on high, how are they supposed to empathize with their constituents when they have golden plated insurance plans and other people have **** that they legislated in?

Any perks we can take away from these people I am all for. Also lets do some performance based raises instead of auto voting raises... economy is in the dumpster? Take a dollar salary like any CEO does these days.

11. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

I tend to disagree for this reason only - what the Senate Bill is proposing is novel - unprecedented in Obama speak - it will force Americans, all Americans, to have/carry some sort of health insurance (like car insurance) and likely will come with a public plan of sorts! It will mandate this health insurance. Therefore if Congress is mandating this coverage and this public option, the very least Americans could expect is for them to use it themselves. In short, the Coburn Vitter Amendment will be the test whether Congress wishes to step up and take themselves what they are forcing on America (assuming the Democrat Majority succeeds). If Democrats vote down the Coburn Vitter Amendment, it shows they're not willing to do what they are advocating we all do. It's a real Catch-22 Amendment and it will make news as it progresses...

Precisely!!!

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Exactly.

If this new health care program is really good, they would be ditching their old program and getting the new one because it is better. :)

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that this won't happen. :(

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I bet it would cost a hell of a lot less. I wonder how much the current health plan for members of congress costs.

14. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I forgot for a second that congressional members are paid with our tax dollars.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why don't they just make that the national health plan. They seem to like it.

16. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its quite a gamble the gop is taking. Forcing themselves to take the crap system they are creating :)

perhaps its not too late for them to cooperate?

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

regardless of Congress's participation, abortion rules, etc......if the bill passes the senate, the sausage making in the Dems back office could TOTALLY change the entire thing.
    The GOP is making a point that the Dems found themselves on the wrong side of this summer, NOW it seems they APPEAR to want to do it-Now the GOP has to figure out what it is REALLY trying to do.

I have joined www.goooh.com

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The dems created this system. Lets not get mixed up before the bill is even passed.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably more than some Americans (especially the unemployed ones) make in a year. Leading the country should be a sacrifice, not a leisure job with plush rewards. In my mind they should get housing and regular stuff paid for and nothing else, maybe then we can get people in there that actually want to lead the country.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are there any public numbers on what they get for health insurance. Benefits and cost.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I tried to search but google is polluted with health care reform articles. The capital has its own pharmacy/health practitioners in case someone dies during a vote and these people all have "Cadillac" plans though so I am sure its costing taxpayers a pretty penny.