Barrack Obama - John McCain - Main Stream Media (MSM)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by harcosparky, Jul 21, 2008.

1. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Ever notice how the MSM is asking tougher questions of John McCain and handing the easier questions to Barrack Obama.

I guess this is just another reason to distrust the Main Stream Media.

Or maybe, the MSM believes McCain is the better man to be President, and he can handle such tough questioning?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Or maybe they've played out the obvious low-information stuff over the drawn-out primary with Obama whilst John MCain sailed through relatively unscrutinised.

Sensitive to accusations of man-crushes on the Straight Talk Express while ignoring the shifts and special interests, they're now understandably turning their eye on what they see as a campaign that's failing to connect with the base and insulting Americans by claiming the poor state of the economy is 'just in your mind'.

Besides, it's only July.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The MSM is ignoring huge gaffes by the McCain campaign, such as the endless amount of flip flops and campaign surrogates saying stupid things like everyone who's affected by the poor economy is a whiner. But when Obama's pastor, someone who's not in the campaign, says some stupid crap, the media won't shut up about it for a month.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How did you quantify this?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I notice there were no links or any evidence of this, but I'm assuming you meant that ridiculous meme the McCain campaign was trying to put out there, like with this ad:

New John McCain Ads Show Media In Love With Obama

It is, of course, a ridiculous notion. McCain used to call the media his base. They've fawned all over him just as much, if not more in some cases, than Obama. And worse, they've completely ignored most of McCain's vast screwups. Not just the little gaffes, even some of the major ones that would have destroyed anyone else. More here:

McCain Ads Attack Media That Love Him
    The Barbeque Media Wants Senator Obama To Win? That's Rich.
    Media darling whines when reporters’ eyes wander
    McFiction and Barbeque
    GOP 'Love' Ad Furthers the Pot-Kettle Dialectic
    McCain: Coverage Is "Fun To Watch"

Especially after the whole CBS thing, where they literally altered footage to mask McCain's mistake and make him look better:

McCain Gets History Of The Surge Wrong, CBS Doesn't Air Footage
    CBS Spokesman distorts Standard of Editing on Couric-McCain interview. Here’s the proof
    CBS defends McCain interview

And more on the media shift, which is actually even more to the right in some cases:

The AP’s shift isn’t sloppy, it’s deliberate

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And if anyone is still interested:

In study, evidence of liberal-bias bias
    But as I posted awhile ago, it's not ideology, it's about ratings. And controversy brings ratings. Obama is doing well, and a blow out is boring. As is covering McCain apparently. So I'm still kinda surprised he bothered making this an issue. The less people know about McCain, the better he seems to do. The more people learn, see that he supports pretty unpopular opinions, the less they like. If the MSM starts covering him, I don't see how this is a good thing for him.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

That statement/question got me scratching my head too, .Andy. I would also like to have the OP source this very questionable opinion. It is pretty well-established, hitherto McCain has been getting tossed cream-puffs, and Barack is having to defend himself against smears.

The story above is from last night's Late Edition. A person does not need for the GOP talking points to come out. All a person needs is a brain, ears and eyes.

8. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

McCain has made a million mistakes in the past couple of weeks and the MSM has failed to give them their proper due.

Obama hasn't had an easy ride with the media since he won 11 straight primaries in February. Since Rev. Wright in mid-March, he's been handled as roughly as any candidate (if not more roughly).

Reverend Wright really brought in the ratings and the MSM have been desperately trying to repeat that "success." Imagine if a close Obama aide had called the US a "nation of whiners" :eek:

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Shouldn't we mention fox here? They constantly attack Obama and were constantly singing the praises of Bush,Rove & Cheney.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A funny article I read earlier:

Obama Campaign Reeling: Ignorant Gaffes to Blame

Basically it takes all the mistakes and screw ups McCain has made lately and turns them around to point out that if Obama did them, it would be all over the MSM, but when McCain does them, no one seems to notice.

It's all about the narrative.

But I guess they're calling Obama "teflon" because the attacks usually go away without hurting him too much, despite (as my link points out) it's usually because most of them are not only baseless, but don't really affect us that much, so after awhile we stop caring.