Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galloru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Hi there. Something very strange it's happening with this phone.

It's an iphone 4s 16 gb originally locked on o2 which is barred in uk so it was impossible to make / receive phone calls or send / receive text in uk.

I decided to unlock the phone so I went on website that was offering the service, payed the fee and after the few days I had the confirmation email that was telling me that the phone was ready to be unlocked. I then slotted in a non o2 sim to complete the unlock process via iTunes, I connected the phone to iTunes via USB and restored it. Everything worked and I got the congratulations message which was telling me that the phone was unlocked.

So far nothing new ...

But after a few second SURPRISE SURPRISE ... the phone started to get signal !!

I taught it was just impossible so I called my number and like magic it was ringing and the phone was working normally.

I then removed the Three uk sim card that I used to unlock the phone and I slotted back in the o2 sim card and the phone was showing the operator name but no signals bars.

Typical behavior of a barred phone, I then tried to make a phone call and it was obviously not working.

I then slotted in back the Three uk sim card and .... I got signal again!!

I then tried other uk sim such as Vodafone Orange and some foreign sim Meditel, Bouygues , Tim and no luck .. the phone was showing the network name but no signal bars.

So it now basically works only on Three uk.

Does anyone know how is this possible ??
Why is this happening?

The phone is 100% barred ( i have checkmend report ) and is not jailbroken or anything like that. It's definitely not faulty or in any way modified.

Any information about this situation is welocome!

galloru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Simple as that! I taught it was immediate. So sooner or later it will stop working even on Three network?!
I was very very surprised as never happened to me before and could not find anything about this situation on the web.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.